[3830] NAQP RTTY N7MQ(@N6LF) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n7mq@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY N7MQ(@N6LF) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:41:37 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: N7MQ
Operator(s): N7MQ
Station: N6LF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   86    36
   40:  157    49
   20:  175    48
   15:   42    22
   10:    0
-------------------
Total:  460   155  Total Score = 71,300

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Thanks to Rudy N6LF for loan of his super antennas, and for his and Diana's
hospitality.

SO1R with IC 756 Pro 2, and while not the latest and best of ICOM line, is a
great RTTY rig.  Still behind the Feb 2008 Q count, but with 15 and better
mults, my best score to date.  Great to have 15, and checked 10 regularly, but
no 10 up here in the Northwest.

15 was a S&P and go back to 20; never could get a run going on 15.  20 was a
struggle; short runs and dry up; S&P until found a hole and CQ again with short
runs, then back to S&P.  Took a break and waited for 40 to open and much better,
and 80 was good.  Hard to get runs going on either 40 or 80, but a combination
of short runs and S&P until time up.

Noticed a number of new calls and a couple of familiar calls that not seen on
RTTY before; great to see NK7U in the RTTY log and nice results from Joe's
great station.

This was a lower QSO count that my previous best in February 2008, but the
mults made the difference and best score to date.  Not bad for a SO1R effort;
can really see the need to upgrade to two radios, but making a portable SO2R
station - well, thinking very seriously about it!

Just before the contest as testing, had problems with my primary laptop ...
WriteLog would not decode.  The XY box looked like a tangle on old fishing
reel, and no decode.  Jumped over to MMTTY and worked fine; even quick antenna
chat with Don AA5AU.  Had to change out and go to my backup laptop; I mean you
do travel with a backup radio, additional interface and cables, plus manuals
etc?  It worked fine, and five minutes before the contest start, was back up.
Whew!

Thanks for all the Q's and hope my Em Comm volunteer work slows down enough to
be more active in RTTY contesting.

ICOM 756 Pro 2 [Inrad mod]
SteppIR Monster yagi for 15, 20 and 40
High 80 meter dipole in Rudy's fir tree forest.
WriteLog/MMTTY plug-in
Dell laptop WinXP Plus

73, Mark N7MQ