[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rjairam@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:25:27 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2RJ
Operator(s): N2RJ
Station: N2RJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:    0     0
   80:   75    39
   40:  535    73
   20:  747    93
   15:  155    45
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1512   250  Total Score = 1,134,000

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Last week I decided I would make a serious effort to do the ARRL DX phone test.
Didn't regret it and I am pleased with my improvement and score for my SO1R
station.

Friday night was ho-hum, had a couple of nice runs but they were short, so I
spent most of the night S&Ping the big guns from EU.  Then went down to 80m and
picked them up there again. I figure they know me by name now, lol.  Then went
off to bed for a couple of hours sleep.

Got up and started just before sunrise, got in early and ran 20 like I stole
it. Did not really touch 15 that much as I was having a decent rate on 20.  Ran
20 until after lunch, did a little S&P.  I decided to take a peek at 40 around
1800z and to my surprise it was open as a barn door and the band was crystal
clear. So I parked up on 7155 and ran all evening, what a blast! Picked up the
big guns and the little guys, then I went down to 75m and began picking up some
mults, because while I had a lot of QSOs my mults were lacking.

Saturday night was just D - E - A - D.  The local graveyard looked like a party
in comparison.

Then eventually I got tired, went to bed for a few hours, got up again, looked
around 20... 15 was okay but I had a hard time running anything.  Eventually I
just gave up and went back to 20 and ran for a while.  Had a decent rate on 20
then decided to switch to 40 around 1830z.  Ran for a few hours, then when my
rate decided to go down I went to 15 and 20 to pick up SA/JA/AS mults.  I never
realized that Brazil had so many hams, lol! I S&Ped with a 60ish rate believe it
or not until the end of the contest.

No really big issues with equipment except I had to recalibrate the steppir a
few times since the plug in the back fell out. Plus my computer had a bit of
RFI problems with the keyboard.  I need to investigate and cure that before the
next 'test.  I took a bold move and setup everything on Windows 7, and it worked
simply flawlessly.

Special shout outs and apologies to my friends in 9Y, who I managed to work on
20, but couldn't really stop to "ole talk" just had to work them, log them and
move on.

Anyway I am liking my setup on 40, but I am beginning to see the limits of only
one radio. RF gain is your friend!

In the short term I need to get a foot pedal (or two) because one hand typing
is not fast.

Anyway that's my little story from the N2RJ QTH... see you in WPX and hopefully
IARU!

ARRL DX SSB - 2010-03-06 0000Z to 2010-03-08 0000Z - 1513 QSOs
N2RJ Max Rates:

2010-03-06 1337Z - 5.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 300 per hour by N2RJ
2010-03-06 1341Z - 3.2 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 192 per hour by N2RJ
2010-03-06 2150Z - 2.2 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 134 per hour by N2RJ