[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4XL SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, knason00@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4XL SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:58:45 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:   11    10
   80:   56    37
   40:  105    51
   20:  408    81
   15:  221    57
   10:   51    13
-------------------
Total:  852   249  Total Score = 633,456

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I knew this would be a part time effort -- but even so, I'm pleased with the
results. I really notice the difference between a year old Skyhawk tribander at
55 ft and a 20 year old A4S at 25 ft! Without room for a beverage on my acre and
a half I'd like to thank K9AY for designing his loop. I'm certain it gave me a
dozen or more contacts on 40 thru 160.

Funniest thing that happened was in the last ten minutes of the contest. While
S&P I heard a station ask C6AWL to QSY from 80 to 40 meters. I already had him
on 80 but needed him on 40 too, so I listened to the conversation to see where
they were going. The first station gave him the frequency (which had broadcast
interference) and left without giving his call sign.  C6AWL didn't want to
leave unless he knew who to call, so I said I'd talk with him and off we went.
I found him slightly down the band from the meeting frequency. After our brief
contact I heard another station ask C6AWL to move since he was interfering with
a nearby QSO so I don't think the original station ever connected and I ended up
with the contact and multiplier on 40! Thanks for QSYing C6AWL.

Had my first experience at being on the receiving end of a 10 to 20 station
pile up for about 15 minutes on 20 mtrs. Not sure why SC was so hard to get
since I heard several SC stations on the air. I'm glad it happened, but I'm not
very good at that yet. If you were trying to work me thanks for your patience.
Rate meter climbed to 193 for a short time.

I need better 40, 80, and 160 antennas.

Thanks to all.

N4XL