[3830] ARRLDX SSB KE1FO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke1fo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KE1FO SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:15:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KE1FO
Operator(s): KE1FO
Station: KE1FO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    6     6
   40:   48    37
   20:   74    39
   15:   25    22
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  153   104  Total Score = 47,736

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had not operated a phone contest in at least 2 years.  Had not even hooked up my
mic to the radio since I got the K3 last May.  Decided that since I missed ARRL
CW I'd get on for a little while on SSB.  Spent a couple hours Friday evening
getting the sound board DVK to work right with my new computer and rig.  Once
that was all set up, things went smoothly.

Family commitments and patience for phone contesting limited my operating
time.

All S&P.  Lots of click and shoot with packet, but also did a fair amount of
tuning the dial.  This was because I was getting RF into my mouse - which would
kill it dead until I reached around the back of the computer and unplugged it
from the USB port and then reconnected it.  About 2/3 of the way through my 5
hours of operating time I rebooted the computer and enabled the ps2 support.
When the USB mouse would die, the PS2 mouse was fine.  No other RF issues
though.

Hilites were working VK2IR on 40 and 9K2K on 20M (which was a new one for me).

This stint of operating reminded me how much I dislike phone when the rate is
not good.  If I can run on phone, I'm pretty happy, but this was not so much
fun.  On the bright side, my phone pileup busting skills are getting better and
better.  Fairly large piles (like 9K2K and VK2IR) were broken in 2-3 calls, even
though I have not so great antennas for any band).

Hope to hear you all on again next time.

73 de Al, KE1FO

Rig: K3
Amp: AL-80
Antennas: 10-20 C3S @ 30 feet
          10 & 15 Homebrew @ 25 feet
          40M dipole NE/SW sloping to SE, high point at 40 feet, low point at
25
          80 & 40 HF2V
Software: Writelog 10.74J