[3830] NA Sprint RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:39:56 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   14
   40:   66
   20:   49
---------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team: Marks in Space

Comments:

This looks to be a new QRP record, topping my March 2005
QRP score of 4488 as W6YX (K6UFO). I think conditions are
improving, participation is up, and I installed a new tower
and antennas last summer! Thank you to all the good listeners
out there who give the weak callers a second chance!

I had a scary start as the radio and/or computer locked up
in TX ending the first QSO. I tried turning the radio off and
on - but still TX locked, so had to reboot the computer, a
great way to waste 6 minutes at the start - and rattle the
operator. It was all working in the practice the previous
night. I hate computers!

After that I frantically sprinted on 20m until I was up to
a first hour of 40 QSOs.

Second hour I alternated 20m and 40m. Conditions were fair.

By the third hour there was nothing left on 20m, so all 40m.

Finally in the last hour I scraped up anything on 40m and
tried to find people LOUD enough who might hear me on 80m.
Lots of people there, but they couldn't hear me, and I only
worked East to Arkansas.

I was SO2R, and often had the other entry line checking a call,
so my "sent" serial numbers increased faster than my actual QSO
count - due to losing in the pileup and having to erase the call
and search again. I hope my high numbers kept you on your toes!

Except for the inital lockup, which I blame on the computer,
the 'ole MP performed well, and the new Kenwood TS-2000 worked
fine, except for some transmit hash I could occasionally hear
on the other radio. Not too bad, considering no filters (not
needed at QRP). The pair of MPs used to be worse because they
had matching IF frequencies, and often "heard" each other.

There were a few people who didn't QSY, but at QRP I don't
argue or try to instruct them :-)

Thanks for the contacts, RTTY is always fun!

NN7SS Burt WA  (op K6UFO)

80m: Half-sloper from 60ft, half-sloper from 46ft.
40m: Force 12 Delta 240 at 78ft, 40-2CD at 48ft.
20m: C-31XR at 71ft, C-3 at 52 ft.
Yaesu FT-1000MP turned down to 5 watts.
Kenwood TS-2000 turned down to 5 watts.
Writelog amd MMTTY software, single computer.

QSO by hour and band.
          80M     40M     20M    Total   Cumm
0000Z       -       -      41       41     41
0100Z       -      23       8       31     72
0200Z       -      25       -       25     97
0300Z      14      18       -       32    129
Total:     14      66      49