[3830] Commonwealth VP2MCC(G4FAL) Open-24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4fal@riverauto.co.uk
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VP2MCC(G4FAL) Open-24 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:07:39 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VP2MCC
Operator(s): G4FAL
Station: VP2MCC

Class: Open-24 HP
QTH: Montserrat
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  135
   40:  293
   20:  306
   15:  215
   10:    9
------------
Total:  958  Total Score = 10,000

Club:

Comments:

Contest         : RSGB Commonwealth Contest
Callsign        : VP2MCC
Mode            : CW
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Overlay         : Open
Band(s)         : All bands (AB)
Class           : High Power (HP)
Zone/State/...  :
Locator         : FK86VS
Operating time  : 21h24

 BAND   QSO DUP DXC  HQ  POINTS BONUS   AVG
   80   135   0  25   4     670   940 11.93
   40   293   2  34   4    1465  1440  9.91
   20   306   2  32   7    1525  1380  9.49
   15   215   1  30   7    1075  1300 11.05
   10     9   0   5   1      45   160 22.78
TOTAL   958   5 126  23    4780  5220 10.44
            TOTAL SCORE : 10 000

I woke at 4am to discover that one end of my 80m dipole was down so I had to
reconfigure it as a half-sloper without a torch (flashlight) to see in the dark
- the repair actually improved the SWR and didn't seem to worsen the
functionality too much.

Highlights included an unexpected opening on 15m at 2am during which I worked
VU2PTT long path and plenty of ZLs and VKs who moved up with me from 20m. Also
David Lea's (the proprietor here) parrot chose to use one of my coax feeders as
a improvised swing during the day - photo to follow. It is funny when you use an
unfamiliar call as when people come back and repeat it you think "what are they
sending that for?", then it dawns on you that it is the callsign that you are
using!

Lowlights included the humiliation of having my FT897s keyclicks advertised to
the CDXC community - the radio can be fixed - if you know how then please
forward the information to me. I ignored this ungracious attempt at sabotage
from an opposing team, and hopefully the ROW team will be triumphant again, hi!
Also I did shed a tear when I worked an old timer VK3 station who gave me serial
number 001 as I remembered my friend Les VK3QK (father of my next door
neighbour), who died a couple of years back.

Thanks to all for the QSOs. I will put some pictures on facebook later and
publish the link on the UK contest group. I know that a few serial numbers are
wrong so expect to drop a few points - thankfully, as there are no multipliers,
this shouldn't make too much difference.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and apologies to those who were affected by the
keyclicks.

73 Nick VP2MCC (G4FAL)