[3830] Commonwealth ZM4G(ZL2IFB) Open-24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gary@isect.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZM4G(ZL2IFB) Open-24 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:51:18 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZM4G
Operator(s): ZL2IFB
Station: ZM4G

Class: Open-24 HP
QTH: Hawkes Bay
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
   80:   79
   40:  121
   20:  178
   15:   69
   10:   22
------------
Total:  469  Total Score = 6,000

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

I'm still checking my log.  Given that BERU coverage is brand new in N1MM and
BERU is an unusual format, I'm not surprised if there are a few bugs in there.
It doesnâ??t seem to have counted ZK3 for example but I may well be wrong.

Claimed score one third up on 2009.

Ten metres opened to the UK for some of our Aussie friends, I gather, but I was
happy to work a few VEs and some VK/ZLs on ten by backscatter (I guess - I could
only hear them when I was beaming to NE anyway).

Countries wkd: 3B9, 5B, 9H, 9J, 9M6, 9V, G/GW/GD/GM, J3, J6, J8, V5, VE1-7,
VE9, VK2/3/4/6/7/8, VO1, VP2M, VP8, VP9, VQ9, VU, VY1, ZB2, ZC4, ZF, ZK3,
ZL1-4&6.  Oh and a few lucky JAs, BAs, Ws and DLs, naturally!

DL1T was extraordinarily persistent, pestering me for ages but in vain for a
QSO on two bands with his very loud, very annoying signal.  One RW6 station
must have tried likewise for about 10 mins, changing his TX freq every over and
no doubt wondering if his TX was still working and/or my RX was broken.    These
and several others really ought to listen more for those subtle little clues
such as "CQ BERU BERU BERU BERU TEST" and "BERU TEST ONLY UK/VE/VK PSE"
(sometimes at ~12 wpm to rub it in!).  On the other hand, a polite JA stn who
waited for a lull to give me a quick report was fine and I took pity on a few
others this year if they were at least courteous enough to wait until there
were no BERU callers.  I even found time to bag a couple of non-BERU Carribean
stns just for kicks.

Mni thanks to ZK3OU and ZK3YA who worked me pileup-style and then gave me the
BERU numbers when prompted.   Thanks also to 3B9WR for calling me on 2 bands:
what a buzz!  I was pleased to work few VUs again but still no 4S7 nor ZS.  And
finally thanks to Nigel G3TXF for re-sending his call just to confirm he really
wasn't somewhere exotic this time!

Hit a brick wall 90 mins before the end and sloped off for a little rest that
ended up being a big sleep.  Next year I must remember not to install a deer
gate and fencing just before BERU (doh).

Eqpt: K3, LK550, 500W out to tribander and wires.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB / ZM4G