[3830] OkQP W0BH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] OkQP W0BH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:16:15 -0700
                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:     12       0
   40:    122       9
   20:     11       0
   15:      1       0
   10:
    6:
------------------------
Total:    146       9  Mults = 63  Total Score = 28,728

Club:

Comments:

I still find it hard to believe that I missed the last TQP and now the OKQ ..
for very different reasons, to be sure.  After spending several weeks getting
ready to mobile, the weather had to be pretty bad to not go and it was.

Friday started out perfect .. blue sky, almost 60 degrees and it finally felt
like spring.  The forecasts were simply hard to believe, but they didn't get
better and my van isn't good in snow (neither were my antennas as I found out
in Nebraska), so Friday afternoon, Lorna and I decided to stay home on Saturday
and attend a going-away party for another local ham instead.  The roads were dry
heading 20 miles south to the party, but several hours later, the sleet started
and the winds were 35 gusting to 45+.  The sleet turned to snow about half way
home, and I knew OK was going to get it worse.  About 10 minutes after we got
home and while we were stoking up the wood stove, the power went off.  It came
on about 10 minutes later, so I quickly brought in a fully-charged battery from
the van in case the power went off again.  It did.

The power was back on in the morning, so I decided to see if any mobiles were
moving.  My shack was empty of radios since my ProIII was in the shop, so took
the IC7000 out of the van and put it back in the shack and there they were!  As
I worked counties, I highlighted them on a map.  For most of the first day, the
northern and central parts of the state were empty except for a few fixed
stations in the big cities.  That was my route and also where the worst snow
was forecast.  But slowly the counties filled in.  Knowing the conditions out
there, that is simply amazing.

For me, this was basically a 40m event.  80m was open for me most of Sunday and
I took advantage of that with W3DYA. Others I asked had 80m antenna issues.  I
didn't hear mobiles on 20m on Saturday, but on Sunday if I turned on the
pre-amp and really turned up the volume, I could hear them and once in awhile
they could hear me.  Norm even moved me to 15m for my only 15m Q.

Many, many thanks to the mobiles.  I'm really looking forward to reading your
writeups.  I know you all have stories to tell.

30 W3DYA/m - 4 bands
29 NO5W/m - great streaming video!
26 W5TM/m - almost always loud
23 W5LE/m - really interested to hear how the new mobile setup played
13 K5CM/m - good ears
11 KS5A/m - a nice run across the top of the state, but lost you on Sunday
9  K5UV/m - what a way to start your mobile "career" !

.. and to the two fixed stations who were on often

3  N5OK
2  W5CW

Overall, I worked only 18 unique calls, so almost all my Qs were with mobiles.
Counties missed were CIM, DEW, GRA, HAR, JEF, KIN, LOG, MCU, MAJ, NOB, PAW, RGM,
WAS, WAT.  I know many of those were on, so just missed them. Congrats to N2CU
for an excellent HP score given the conditions, and a very FB mult count by
N4CD. It will be interesting to see how many counties were actually active.

Thanks to the OKDXA and especially to Jerry/K5YAA and Gene/W5LE for
coordinating and keeping the web site current.  As I was quoted, "Very
disappointing ..." that I couldn't mobile this year, but it was really fun
helping out from the Kansas end anyway.

73, Bob, w0bh (unfortunately not /m)