[3830] WPX SSB NE5LL(N1CC) SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NE5LL(N1CC) SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:21:16 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NE5LL
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: NE5LL

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: North Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:    3
   80:   99
   40:   79
   20:  418
   15:  126
   10:   25
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

NE5LL graciously allowed N1CC to use her callsign for WPX. (It's nice to have a
Extra Class licensed XYL).  Conditions were best on Friday night (local time)
and were pretty good the entire time period of the contest.

Running FT-990 at 100W into the DX Engineering 43' vertical with built-in
remote antenna tuner has now proven to be "darn good" as a compromise antenna.
I was able to sustain runs on 20M SSB several times during the contest, on that
band that is dominated by big power and antennas.

The opening hour yielded 102 QSO while running, and the final hour 82 QSO's.  I
could have run longer and faster, except for people who moved in on top of my
"less than overpowering" signal.  One VE3 tried his darndest, even not
answering me when I asked him to move (He moved 890 Hz below me on 75 Meters).
I thought in the past he was a better operator, his lousy operating this year
just proved me wrong ... or was that a Guest operator? [He knows who he is!])
Since I had been spotted I just kept the run going... at better that 50 QPH.
Averaged 42 QPH overall.

82% of QSO's were 1 pointer NA, and I think that is a function of low power and
vertical antenna.  JA's are usually 10% of QSO in this and other contests, and
the conditions just were not there this time with only a dozen JA's worked.