[3830] Rus DX N8II SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX N8II SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:30:56 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  304    330       62        53
   15:
   10:
Total:  304    330       62        53  Total Score = 400,520

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Happenings with the op/family: My daughter is nursing two of her boyfriend's
lambs that were rejected by their mother. Yes, they are cute but their bodily
functions are odiferous! Also, they Baaaah just as loud as adults, so the past
week has been the "unsilence of the lambs". Wx was fantastic, sunny and in the
70's F, above 20C after a cruel cold very snowy February, so an outing was in
order. It took 4-1/2 hours (1 hr drive each way, lunch, and long wait for ice
cream) to bike about 1 hour on the Western Maryland Rail Trail in Hancock, MD
which is worth doing if you visit western MD. There are spectacular views from
a mountain side overlooking the Potomac Rvier just west of town. My back is
hurting, another good reason not to put in a full time effort.

The contest: The time spent was very enjoyable especially compared to the last
3 years when propagation to Russia was extremely limited to limited. UA0YAY in
zone 23 reported "booming signal" as did several others during our exchanges.
Propagation was good to all parts of Russia at some time of the day and before
sunrise Zone 18 was workable Sunday morning! At the start, I ran on SSB for
about 20 minutes, not a good idea as Russia was more easily workable thru the
EU QRM on CW. Then I S&P'ed, but didn't find all that many Russians calling
CQ.
So, finally, I started running on CW with good rates. After the bike outing,
20M was almost closed but not quite to Russia, so at 2030Z I fired up on 14276
and had a "dream run" for 20 SSB with NO QRM until 22Z! Some of the QRP signals
were S9 from EU; lots of 2E0's, PE/PD's, and some M3's were worked. Starting at
00Z thru 03Z condx were good to Asia with lots of oblasts, HS, YB, BA, and
JU1DX
logged. Around 02Z, I actually had a 4-5 minute run of one Asiatic Russian
after the other on SSB. The louder stations were S9+, but condx in the WPX this
past weekend were actually better the first 3 hours. 53 OBL was more than I ever
expected, and I know several were missed in EU Russia. The last hour 20 CW was
loaded with activity, not enough time for one S&P thru the band.