[3830] EA RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] EA RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:35:13 -0700
                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

   80:   17    13
   40:   69    27
   20:   61    35
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  147    79  Total Score = 28,835

Club:

Comments:

Not much of a score. Saturday's EU opening on 20M wasn't very strong, though it
lasted several hours. Just couldn't pull signals out for some reason. The MMTTY
waterfall showed what looked like random deep fading on one or the other tones,
making copy very frustrating.

After blaming conditions on 20M, when I went to 40M on Saturday night I saw the
same thing. That's when I realized the soundcard was causing bad decoding.
Discovered that the line-in from Radio 1 was being mixed with dead audio from
the unused second radio. The effect was very much like fatal QSB dropouts.

Fixed it by muting the soundcard mic input, but too late in the evening to make
much impact. Still, it was clear sailing after that. Apologies to all who resent
so many times before I could copy your numbers.

Just 4 EA mults worked. Should have been dozens more, but I couldn't copy them
well enough to work. Defeated by poor production, after 20M primetime I spent a
chilly Saturday afternoon arranging a director/reflector (switchable) wire
element behind the Steppir yagi and its 40M dipole. Not a great deal of signal
difference switching the wire length, but I made more Qs on 40M than I did on
20M this weekend.

20M was building to Europe in the final 15 minutes on Sunday morning with loud
signals over the pole only in the final five minutes, but naturally time ran
out just was I was able to work some new multipliers. Only worked 4 more
countries on 20 than on 40, and 3 of those were only in the final five
minutes.

There's always next year. Bring on 15M and 10M.

-- Bud VA7ST

        Qs  Mult  Points
2010:  147    79  28,835   9 hrs HP
2009:  179    93  36,642   9 hrs HP