[3830] FlQP K4KG/M SO Mobile+DriverMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7zo@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4KG/M SO Mobile+DriverMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:54:38 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K4KG/M
Operator(s): K5KG, VE7ZO
Station: K4KG

Class: SO Mobile+DriverMixed LP
QTH: 43 counties
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:   414    20
   20:  1553   220
   15:    80    12
   10:
--------------------
Total:  2047   252  CW Mults = 72  Ph Mults = 53  Total Score = 1,086,500

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

FQP is one of the fun radio contesting treats that becomes more enjoyable each
year.   Ten hours each day and you get to sleep!  George and I have been doing
this together since 2003 and each year the K4KG mobile gets a little more
comfortable and a little more sophisticated.   We have adapted a portable
operating desk into the Highlander that fits behind the front passenger seat
and is bolted to the floor.  This provides a comfortable operating platform
with a laptop screen and keyboard.   This year we had the immediate selection
of three bands with ham sticks for 40M and 15M mounted on the car and a 20M
vertical dipole on a U-haul trailer.   With 15M selectable, we called CQ often
to check band conditions and were rewarded with 92 Qâ??s but there was never a
consistent rate.   We logged our lone African and South American qâ??s on this
band.   The mobile station has become very quiet on receive and there are only
a few areas along the route now that exhibit power line noise.

Band conditions were generally good with strong signals from EU, north and even
the west coast.  We started the contest in the large southern counties as it
appeared there would be little activity from Monroe and Dade but it was a slow
start with conditions and activity seemingly poor.  As we headed up the east
coast, conditions improved along with the rates.  Sunday had its own challenges
as we drove through a severe thunderstorm and it was all we could do to keep the
car on the road.  We drove right through Marion county without even seeing the
county sign.   Being a mixed mode entry, we appreciate the CW only stations
that take the effort to move to SSB to provide us with the multiplier and
likewise, we try to reciprocate with stations looking for the SSB county mults.
 Some of these ops become very adept at the quick QSY which adds a whole lot of
fun to the event.  VA3DX, W8MJ, WA3HAE, K3TW, K3WW, LY9A, DL5MC, DL0ERF were
notable in this category.  Moving to SSB tends to be a rate killer but if done
quickly, sometimes the pile doesnâ??t notice.   Best hours were at the end with
186 (included 2 freq changes and 9 mode changes) and 181 ( 2 freq changes and 6
mode changes).

Sections not worked on CW included:  DC, UT, KL, VE5, VE7, VE8
States not worked on SSB included:  RI, VT, KY, AR, SD, UT, KL, KH6, VE5, VE7,
VE8,

Congrats to the fine results of other FL mobiles and the gargantuan score from
the N4O/m team.  3,000 Qâ??s used to be a dream but no more.  Also congrats to
the opâ??s outside FL. -- without their fine operating, the rates that we
experience in the FQP would not be achievable.

73, Jim VE7ZO

Some log results with QSO totals â??

W8MJ â?? 57
VA3DX â?? 51