[3830] 7QP K7ZSD M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7zsd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7ZSD M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 15:57:06 -0700
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): W7ZB, K2PO, WS7L, KR7X, K7GK, K7AR, K7RF, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/M HP
QTH: NW Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:   18       5
   80:  127      57
   40:  295     449
   20:  422    1162
   15:  122     165
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  984    1838     0  Mults = 68  Total Score = 449,752

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The 7qp is right up there at the top for fun at this station. It is at a season
when there is lots of daylight for 20m, enough activity for good runs but not
crowded as a full domestic contest, and being in seven land we are the hunted.
It took a couple of days to get set up for operating three stations with
antennas for simultaneous operation on CW and SSB for 20 and 40m. Then the
logging problem. We usually use wintest but it does not support the 7qp. So
bring out the two year old version of writelog. For the third station the
computer did not have a version of writelog, so I email K5DJ for my lost key
code. No response. I go to the website and there is notice as of April 16 he
will be quote OUT OF TOUCH. Goodbye writelog, that is the end of the line for
us.

Well it is time to test N1MM and I have 8 hours to load it on three machines
and figure how to interface it with the Microham 2R at two stations and network
the whole setup. There were some glitches, reboots during the contest, scoring
problems with DX mults, but all in all it did the job. N1MM even called in and
gave us a Q.

A fair number of DX stations called in with the most notable being C91JPY in
Mozambique. We were running on 7228 SSB at our grayline beaming east on the 3
el 40m beam and he gives us a 20 over report. Denis, K7GK, asked him to repeat
his call and could not believe it. It was ZS6JPY operating in C91.

The door was open for any and all to stop by and operate the contest. With a
6am starting time we had four ops here at Smoke Ranch. Some left into the
morning while replacements came during the day and evening. We had 3 stations
going 95 percent of the time even with so so propagation and there was lots of
chair time for all. Our goal was to better our 2008 7qp multi multi record, and
we did. I was a little concerned we might not have enough ops for cw and phone,
but the usual suspects and more made the trek to Smoke Ranch and all got in
worked the bands a with a frenzy. A fantastic group of operators plus good
food, drink, and BS. It just does not get any better than that.

Thank you to all who make the 7qp a great event. See you next year, Brad