[3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 21:29:47 -0700

    21      67     151   18
 Total    1042    2984  409
Score: 1,220,456

* N1MM Logger
* FT-2000 + SB221 (SO1R Unassisted)
* 40M SteppIR dipole 40'
* 80M 2-element raised vertical array
* 3 ele. SteppIR at 40'

This weekend put the "test" in contest. Major aurora and disturbed conditions
ruined the intercontinental action for most of both days from here.

Four days before the event, tackling a much-needed shed re-roofing project, I
wrenched my back and the pain made sleep impossible all week. Things often get
worse before they get better, and I was home in profound agony for three days
under "see you again tomorrow" serial chiropractic care. So, I went into the
contest Friday thinking maybe I'd get 12 hours on the air, writhing in sciatic
pain.

Turns out the only place I got any pain relief was in the shack chair. I knew
contesting would one day reveal its purpose :) The significant rest in lumbar
heaven, plus over-the-counter meds, has helped me become functional again. Yay
radiosport and chemistry. Note to self: a three-day project should be done over
three days, not crammed into one holiday Monday. Also, a little more exertion
now and then wouldn't hurt.

Managed to get 27 hours on the air. Conditions were very bleak. First day was
no fun at all, and the second day was only marginally better. The only band
that played better than I expected was 80M -- all others lacked sparkle. Wasn't
going to get much sleep anyway, so I played on 80M and 40M a bit longer than I
usually do.

The receive antenna worked wonders on 80M QRN. But it wasn't until I was ready
to quit for the night that I realized I'd been listening with the 40M vertical
array instead of the 80M Beverage. I couldn't tell the difference. Had lots of
rain all weekend, which kept powerline noise at nil.

Here's an indication of how bad conditions were.... In 2008, I finished the
first night at 4:41 a.m 1141z with 427,000 points and 523 Qs/253 mults.
This year, took until 0352z on the second night to get 427,000 points -- on 572
Qs/269 mults.

EU on 20M was pitifully thin. The openings both days were either so short that
I missed out, or so weak I didn't detect them. Only the superstations were
workable, and it definitely felt like one-way propagation, with some
reactor-powered EU signals that couldn't hear QRO from this end of the AU=9
polar path.

Don't think I had a single EU answer to plaintive CQs all weekend. Worked a few
JAs on 80M and 40M but they were rare. Virtually nothing heard from Asia on
20M.

Wanted to hit 500 mults, but without a real European opening, I ended up with
409 -- and it didn't look like I'd get close to 400 until the final hour. Was
happy to break through 1,000 Qs (1050 incl. dupes) for only the second time.

Year                   QSO    WPX    Score
Goal:     SOABHP      1400    500    2,000,000

May-10    SOABHP      1050    409    1,220,456
May-08    SOABHP      1171    492    1,697,892
May-07    SO(A)ABHP    948    409    1,135,384
May-06    SOABLP       941    515    1,445,605
May-05    SOABLP       694    378      712,908
May-03    SOABLP       412    233      269,348
May-02    SOABLP        63     45        9,000

Things can only get better... as always, next year. Thanks for the contacts.

RTTY ops, remember the new DLDC long-distance RTTY contest June 12 and 13 -- if
you loved ANARTS, as many did, this one's for you.
http://www.drcg.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=84

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st