[3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 03:56:51 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   45
   80:  326
   40:  883
   20:  927
   15:  273
   10:    0
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

WPX 2010 clearly demonstrated that you do not need great condx to enjoy a fun
weekend at the radio. I sure did once I realized that it was not going to be a
new personal best for me, mainly caused by a simple lack of DX contacts. This
was most significant on polar routes, of course.
I am always tracking my personal best results versus current performance and
these are the actual figures for Saturday, showing the difference of 2010 vs.
2009 in per cent:

hour    cumulated QSOs   cumulated mults   cumulated score
0000    + 1              - 10              - 22
1200    - 1              - 5               - 27
2300    - 5              - 12              - 31

So while doing OK on Qs I was clearly behind on mults and the score was going
down the drain, lacking many of those juicy 6 pointers.
Worked my first KL7 at 0553 on Sunday morning on 20, followed by the first KH7
about 20 min later. It was not before 1313 on Sunday afternoon, however, that I
logged the first W6 who was the first station from the US west coast, too!
I understand that 10 was busy, but I opted against a high rate from EU and
concentrated on 15 and 20 instead, with Radio 1 always CQing on one band and
Radio 2 being used to S&P the other. Condx improved a little on Sunday, but it
was still tough going since in addition to the geomagnetic disturbances we had
a very high QRN level on the low bands. Glad to work NR4M through all the
static crashes on 160 right before my sunrise.
So there was plenty of time to enjoy the delicious food that my great host
Wolf, DF2PY, served right to the operating position. Some red wine from
California during one of the breaks added to a pretty relaxed approach, hi.
All hard- and software performed flawlessly. It paid off to use the Monday
prior to the contest to set up the station and implement the new microham
SO2R-box with some extremely helpful assistance from Axel, DK4US.
Tnx all for a most enjoyable weekend! As always, special tnx to my XYL and the
boys for their moral support.