[3830] WPX CW AB1J SOSB80(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AB1J SOSB80(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:35:40 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB80(TS) LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
  160:
   80:  163
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

My experience echoes that of almost everyone else.  Conditions were poor and 80M
was filled with QRN, especially on Friday evening.  It was discouraging but I
kept plugging away, figuring it was a level playing field.  In the end I was
happy because at least I beat my last 80M score from 2008.

I've been on 80M since the CQ WW in 2006 with a quarter wave antenna that
zig-zags around my small back yard.  I have some counterpoise wires, 2 inside
the basement and 2 outside in my wife's flower beds.  I pull it up only after
dark, which is about 9PM locally this time of year and it has to come down at
about 4AM.  That limits my operating time but allows me to be a stealth
station.  During the winter contests I can operate more hours but always miss
most of the gray line activity any time of year.

It took two and a half years to make 80M DXCC and was a tough slog all the way.
 I also made WAS but never WAC until this contest.  Thank you C4I.  That in
itself made the contest worthwhile.  My QSL is already on the way.

I noted that birds start chirping about 3AM and are seriously carrying on by
3:30AM.

After a morning nap I worked the higher bands during the day for fun and new
prefixes for my WPX-CW award.  10 opened nicely, both TEP and Es and I really
enjoyed operating there again after a long drought.  15M was also in fair shape
and 20M and 40M were pretty good at times.  I'm submitting my entire contest log
as per the rules but entering as 80M SOLP(TS).

Thanks to everyone for pulling my signal out of the mud and noise.  See you
next year.  This and the WPX-RTTY are my favorite contests.

Kermit, AB1J