[3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:42 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  22     9  Total Score = 198

Club:

Comments:

This was a backpacker QRP effort on the summit of Mount Wachusett in Princeton,
Massachusetts at altitude 2006'.

I operated 2m USB from a portable station with the following:
Yaesu FT-817 with Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic
12V gel-cell battery
Max power: approx. 3 Watts

The FT-817 with cables and connectors fits in a camera bag. The Elk 2m/440 log
periodic disassembles into a separate small nylon bag. This was my first
contest use of the Elk instead of a Yagi and it worked well.

I hiked up Mount Wachusett in the afternoon Sunday and set up on a picnic
table. The log periodic antenna was simply laid flat on the table and turned by
hand as required. It was mostly pointed west or southwest.

Weather was mild, wet, and foggy. No rain while on the summit but high humidity
and low temps caused water to condense on everything including equipment and
notebook paper. I stayed for over two hours leaving with just enough time to
hike back down before dark.

2m was fun with frequent but sometimes brief band openings to the southwest.
New contacts kept coming on the air and if I'd had more time I'd have continued
making contacts. Never was there no one left to work. The band seemed full with
strong participation. Next time I will also be on 432.

Thanks to all contacted. 73