[3830] ARRL June VHF K7RAT/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K7RAT/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:43:42 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  105    61  Total Score = 6,405

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

This was our first experience being a rover.  It builds character for sure!

Thanks to the fine tools available on the internet (satellite pictures and
Google street view) - many of the places we visited felt like we had already
been there.

We activated 11 grids and made 105 total QSOs - all on six and two meters.

The radio was an Elecraft K3 with an external brick for two meters.  Antennas
were dipoles when in motion, and a four element six meter beam and 9 element
two meter beam.  You can see our portable tower system in the pictures
available at http://www.kkn.net/~tree/gallery/PortableTower.

Our plan was to finish the contest near my home QTH - and we were only 15
minutes away when the contest ended.

Grid   Six      Two (QSOs/grids)
DN14   4/3      4/4 > Near cemetary, north of Haines, OR
DN15   3/2      3/2 > Just northeast of Haines, OR - under where the wind
generating windmills are.
DN05   15/9     15/11 > Deadman Pass
DN04   2/1      5/4 > Ritter Butte (which did not work very well)
DN03   5/4      6/5 > Juniper Mountain
DN02   7/7      9/9 > Juniper Mountain
CN92   1/1      1/1 > Mobile
CN93   1/1      4/3 > Mobile + a hill
CN94   1/1      4/3 > Mobile
CN84   2/1      1/1 > Mobile
CN85   6/3      5/2 > Mobile

Total  47/23   58/16  plus the 22 bonus multipliers.

Ritter Butte was strange.  It looked like we had a fantastic QTH to the west,
but only could work stations in CN87 and CN88 (and not very many of them).  It
was our biggest disappointment of the weekend.

Juniper Mountain was a nice surprise.  Good road to get up there, and good
results.  Battle Mountain was good for a few QSOs in the mobile.  Trey started
one and then we went behind a hill.  I found a road that took us up above the
hill and the QSO was completed easily.

Two of the surprising mobile QSOs were W7EW calling us while in CN93 on the
other side of the mountains - and K7CW who heard us while in CN85 in a pretty
poor QTH.

In summary - of all of the crazy ideas I have come up with over the years,
this
was one of them.  We might do this again however - as an excuse to go drive
through some beautiful country and visit some hams that we never seem to find
the right excuse to visit otherwise.

Lessons learned:

- bring spare nuts for the U bolts (thanks to NK7U for providing a few, which
  was just enough).

- tighten the nuts on U-bolts so they don't fall off on the freeway

- AC inverters make some noise on six meters - not so bad on two.  (will be
  working on making mine more quiet for next time).

- A dipole on two meters about 3 feet above the top of the car is a
  pretty good antenna!!

- Ritter Butte is a beautiful place to watch the sunset - but sucks for
  making QSOs.

After this weekend - I felt like we should have a 10 or 20 kHz window for
Rovers to call CQ in while in motion (CW only?).  Would be a fun place to keep
an ear on.

73 Tree N6TR