[3830] ARRL FD N1CC 1E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N1CC 1E LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:44:25 -0700

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Emergency Power Source:  Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV-48X - Zone Electric)
48V 15KW Power Pack fully charged before FD period.  This car has a pack of 8
6VDC batteries configured to operate at 48V. The accessory outlet supplies
12VDC at up to 20A.  AC-DC Inverter connected with AC Extension cord run into
ham shack and Station UPS plugged into this source for radio, computer and
lighting.  At the end of the FD period the NEV-48X still showed 50% charge
remaining.

Unrelated side event:  The AC-powered 1350 GPH pump in our indoor water garden
began to follow 40 and 80 meter CW keying.  Had to limit power to 5W Output to
not key the water pump!  After FD trouble shooting found an GFCI in the circuit
for the water pump had turned into a RF-actuated on-off switch.  This circuit
was affected by an electrical storm since the last time I had been on 40 or 80,
several items to include one of the UPS' on that AC circuit had to be replaced
due to lightning damage.  Even when set to off the GCFI pulsed the other
equipment on that circuit.  Will replace post-FD and have electrician certify
the ground connections at the service entrance, in the distribution box, and on
that ciruit.

Further, DirecTV Channel 360 would show pixelation until I killed the faulty
GFCI .. even at 5W RF output on the 80/40 bands ... so its possible that a
faulty EMP-damaged GFCI can generate parasitics in the 2 GHz and higher
frequencies - strong enough to disrupt coax fed DirecTV signals.

No sign of any interation on 40-15-20-10 Meters at 100W.