[3830] DL-DX RTTY K4GMH SO/Multi Xcvr HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] DL-DX RTTY K4GMH SO/Multi Xcvr HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:48:02 -0700
                    DL-DX RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SO/Multi Xcvr HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

   80:   72   595    26
   40:  199  2110    47
   20:  369  4105    64
   15:  101   910    30
   10:   68   640    23
-------------------------
Total:  809  8360   190  Total Score = 1,588,400

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to the DL-DX RTTY Committee for the effort to organize and run the
Contest.
Thanks also to all who participated, especially those who were kind enough to
work me:>)

A nice opening to Europe on 10 meters was experienced at this QTH which seemed
like the first time in a long time.  Working Phil, GU0SUP, on 10 meters brought
back memories of past.  One of the memories that I've since forgotten was how to
work SO2R when 10 meters is open - do have one radio on 10 meters and the other
on 15 meters or keep the other radio on 20 meters.  Wasn't sure what to do so
just kept with the 20/10 SO2R combination.  Probably the wrong choice as I'm
sure I missed several (many?) European stations on 15 meters.  This proved even
more of an error on my part due to 20 meters morning vs late afternoon
propagation to Europe.

By the time 10 meters opening dropped to just hearing USA stations, and then
not very many, 15 meters propagation to Europe had diminished as well.  Also,
20 meter propagation to Europe seemed to be better in the late afternoon, local
time, than in the morning.  During the winter, the opposite seems to be the
case.  Before switching to the lower freq. bands and even with my "bad" band
choice, the number of European and other stations worked on 10/15/20 meters
left me with a vision of having several 5 band contacts .  Unfortunately, the
"vision" was realized.

Eighty meters did not provide conditions for the quantity of contacts with
Europe or else where necessary to take advantage of the number of 4 band
contacts already in the log.  The noise level was just too high on 80 meters,
even with Beverage ant., for accomplishing much of the "vision".  Only two
stations, N1M and K4DLI, were worked on 5 bands according to my notes made at
the time of these contacts.  Still having gotten as many 4 band QSOs with the
same stations in the log is a good sign for future contests.

Only 15 hours total was possible due to making a bad choice on where to dine on
Thursday!  Received a mild case of food "poisoning" that kept my shack BIC time
limited to short durations.  My energy level was down from that which the fun
of contest competition normally provides.  Fortunately, the equipment worked
much better than the operator which helped overcome my personal condition.

Again, thanks to all who participated, you made it a fun Contest.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH