[3830] IARU N4OGW SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N4OGW SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:01:22 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N4OGW
Operator(s): N4OGW
Station: N4OGW

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: ms
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    15            5        2
   80:   176           18       17
   40:   403           24       23
   20:  1034           32       36
   15:   389           22       29
   10:   103            8        3
-------------------------------------
Total:  2120    0     109      110  Total Score = 1,354,734

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

This was a fun contest as usual. I like the somewhat unpredictable summertime
conditions of IARU and the contest being only 24 hours. As everyone else
noticed, 20m was quite good- definitely felt the same here at least from the
early evening throughout the night. I didn't think the low bands were noisier
than usual but having 20 open probably kept fewer on the low bands. 160 was
virtually a wasteland here except for NU1AW and W1AW/8.

Fortunately I didn't have to shut down due to thunderstorms this year. I kept a
browser window open on the weather radar and was watching lots of small storms
in our area. Operating SO2R with one band in each ear I could tell when there
was a local lightning strike when I heard a loud crash simultaneously in both
ears :)

I did not hear or work any WRTC stations until 2141z. I only heard them on 20m-
I did hear east coast stations working a few on 40, but too weak to hear from
here. At their best, they were about 569 or so here on 20 (on 4 over 4 yagi
stack at 100 ft/50 ft, K3). I couldn't tell any difference in relative signal
strengths at all. If I counted right I worked 23 of them.

This was the first contest over 30 minutes long where I used my new logging
program I am writing. I was more than a little worried about major bugs turning
up. Many bugs did turn up but nothing fatal. Sorry that I was not able to upload
my log by 1800z to the WRTC, I only finished writing a basic  Cabrillo export
routine at 1830z today :) If any of the log-checkers reads this, one bug
resulted in incorrect times on a few (<20) qsos- I corrected the times as best
I could, but they might be off by +/- 2 minutes.

Tor
N4OGW/5