[3830] IARU K1TO SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K1TO SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:46:34 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    13            5        2
   80:    96           14       19
   40:   619           28       35
   20:  1123           37       40
   15:   242           25       34
   10:    42            6        3
-------------------------------------
Total:  2135    0     115      133  Total Score = 2,058,152

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

IARU is a long-time favorite contest for me.  This was only the second time that
I've been able to operate the full 24 hours from here in Florida as
thunderstorms usually kill a substantial chunk of the weekend.  The low-band
QRN was still there, though.

Used one radio which made strategy very different, having to frequently stop
running to search for multipliers.  Tried several, but ended up with only one
successful multiplier move!  I think this was the most S&P I've done in any
contest for many years.  IARU requires you to pull out all the tricKS!

Conditions seemed pretty difficult.  Only heard 2 EU HQs on 10 and managed to
work one of them after persisting.  Never had rates approaching the phenomenal
2006 event which was my last one and now my "gold standard".

WRTC activity always provides a boost and the level of activity from zone 29
was terrific!  Congrats to the organizers and to RW1AC/RA1AIP for their
apparent victory!  It did seem like the signal strengths of all of the stations
were pretty close.  I did manage to work 42 WRTC teams on 20, 6 on 40 and 3 on
15; 43 overall.

A few quick multiplier comments:
- Neat to work 2 different OX stations on 2 bands for the rare zone 5!
- Never even heard Z29 on 80.
- Never did hear a "regular" JA on 15; but got JA1TRC and 8N3HQ.
- Great to work N2NL @ NH2T.  Look for big things from him out there!
- Pleased to find FO8RZ on 3 bands.  15 & 20 opened early to the Pacific.
- Some neat HQs that I've not heard before: A7, TF, UN, 4X.  I'm glad the
recent controversy did not dampen the HQ activity.

It's always a blast to run into so many familiar calls.  Thanks for all the
QSOs!

73, Dan, K1TO/4