[3830] IARU WI9WI SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] IARU WI9WI SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:31:06 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: WI zone 7 part
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    0     0       0       0
   80:   16     0      14      16
   40:  124     0      14      16
   20:  445     0      29      37
   15:   74     0      14       6
   10:   12     0       3       1
-------------------------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

After operating at home for the last WRTC in 2006 which was held in PY land so I
could watch the World Cup (F vs I)final live, I opted to drive to the cabin and
tape the world cup final(EA vs PA) and watch it after I got back home on
Sunday. The advantages of the northern WI cabin are much better antennas (4 el
at 35 meters (plus others) vs 2 el at 10 meters at home on 20, and 2 el at 33
meters vs a dipole at 8 meters on 40, etc) and 1000 watts at the cabin vs 500
watts at home. Also the cabin is in zone 7 vs zone 8 at home. My main goal was
to work as many of the R3 stations as possible as well as operating at least 12
hours. I thought the bands were OK for the low flux, particularly for the
summer. Fifteen and 10 were open, though 40 and 80 were very noisy from
thunderstorms here in the midwest. Without beverages my QSO total on 40/80
would have been much lower. It became painfully obvious after spending the
first 2 hours S&Ping on 20 for R3s that they would be hard to find. They were
audible but almost uniformly S1 or so, though some became stronger in the late
afternoon. Although I have internet at the cabin, it is a slow dial-up long
distance call, so I have no spotting network which I would have used to find
the R3s if I had had it. I did use it to submit my log to the committee after
the contest was over. In the end I worked only 21 of the 48 R3s, all on 20
meters after a lot of S&P there. I never heard a single one on any of the other
bands. On the other hand there were a ton of other stations from UA, UT and
other former SSR/CIS republics to work which kept things interesting.

Thanks for all the contacts and an interesting day.

Congratulations to Spain on their World Cup victory.

73

Jim WI9WI living in zone 8 but operating this one from zone 7