[3830] NAQP RTTY NR5M(K5GA) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY NR5M(K5GA) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:55:39 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: NR5M
Operator(s): K5GA
Station: NR5M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   47    28
   40:  152    42
   20:  311    51
   15:  124    39
   10:   54    26
-------------------
Total:  688   186  Total Score = 127,968

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Thanks first to K5NZ and NR5M for helping this "novice" RTTY operator. Mike
helped me with basic MMTTY, and George had the station equipment and logging
software ready for me.

I still made mistakes with MMTTY which caused problems, but a learning curve is
necessary to get proficient. I apologize to all that were at the other end of my
errors.

I started on 10 meters realizing that the band was open, but very few were
there. I then went to 15 and started moving stations to 10. Except for a couple
of instances, all moves were successful ! Come on everyone, don't assume 10 is
always dead because it isn't, especially in the summer.

As always, 20 meters was the money band, but it apperas that I missed several
multipliers that were active. If only I could SO2R....maybe next time. But this
station is not easily set up for single-op contesting, much less for
SO2R....sigh.

I don't think I've ever struggled on 40 and 80 as much as I did. The noise and
QSB really made it tough, and I never felt comfortable or loud. I had to use
beverages on both 40 and 80 to manage to work what I did. Obviously noise / QSB
and RTTY do not mix well. I'm told MMTTY is the best weak signal program, but it
still had problems at times reading correctly. Or, maybe I still did not
properly use it...back to NZ for more tutoring.

Thanks to all who made the effort to QSY for me, much appreciated.

Finally, thanks to Kenny, W5AAC, and Eddie for the fine evening meal and
entertainment.