[3830] IOTA VA7ST SO12CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VA7ST SO12CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:26:31 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO12CW HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:
   40:   60      11
   20:   78      13
   15:
   10:
Total:  138      24       0        0  Total Score = 18,288

Club:

Comments:

* FT-2000 and SB221
* N1MM Logger v10.7.2
* 3-ele. SteppIR at 27'
* 40M SteppIR dipole at 27'
* 80M 2-element full-size vertical array

SFI=85 A=4 K=2

Unlike last year, which was plagued by power outages and severe T-storms, I
have no excuses this year except punky bands. Ran the amp on 20M, but 100W on
40M and didn't feel much less effective there without the extra power.

20M was rather pear-shaped, with EU stations audible from early morning onward,
but only a select few able to copy this signal without multiple repeats. FO8RZ
and JT5DX had wonderful signals into B.C. when I worked them. Great to have
both on so loud, so often these days!

Never really got much going and the Q total on 20M is far too low, but up
slightly over last year's marginal effort. In 2007 (SFI=69 A=10 K=3) my 20M
totals were 200 for 28 vs. 78 for 13 this time (SFI=85 A=4 K=2). Ouch. And the
bands are supposed to be improving. Obviously, not quite yet. Never heard a
thing on 15M this time, though that band has shown signs of life lately.

Nice to get the ZLs and a VK on 40M. VK4AN was really strong here, though I had
the dipole at just 27'. One JA worked on 40M just before 1 a.m. (0800z) local --
JA7DLE is a band-opener here. Heard a couple of others about 30 minutes later,
but couldn't make a go of it with either.

WH6R in Hawaii and WH2D on Guam were both beaufifully strong here for my final
two Qs and mults on 40M in the wee hours Sunday morning.

80M should have been useful, but in several trips down there I didn't hear a
single station. Noise on the Beverage was virtually nil, so if folks were there
I should have heard 'em.

Thanks to RSGB for the contest, and to the islanders for being there (and
getting there).

Now to employ a sunny Sunday to get the 160M inverted-L back in action for fall
and winter with some elevated radials.

-- Bud VA7ST

Year    Qs    Mults    Score

2010:  138      24     18,288 HP12CW