[3830] NAQP CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 07:36:21 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   53    23
   80:  210    43
   40:  160    41
   20:  193    42
   15:   70    25
   10:   30    12
-------------------
Total:  716   186  Total Score = 133,176

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC Team #1

Comments:

As usual I spent a little too much time trying to find mults on the high bands
where my antennas are poor and probably short changed the time I should have
spent on the low bands where I have my best antennas.  I took two 30 minute off
times early in the contest and my final 60 minute off time at the end.  Probably
not the best thing for the score but getting to bed at 2 AM makes for a pretty
tired Sunday.  The rate for the first five hours was 60 per hour and 80 per
hour for the last five hours, bringing the overall average to 70, more than 10
Q's below my January NAQP average.  Score almost identical to last year's
August running except about 9 fewer mults.  I guess I need some aluminum and
SO2R if I want to move much beyond this level.

Signals on 15 were really weak in the beginning and it was a real grind.  10
was open but not very many stations to work.  40 was great when I first went
there around 0000Z and I had a good run but later when I went back the QRN was
awful, even worse than 80 and 160.  The WX was great and there no storms in the
area but the low bands were still very noisy.  Signals on 80 were strong and the
QRN wasn't too much of a problem until later when I had a lot of trouble hearing
the weaker west coast stations calling me.  I guess a beverage would have
helped.

Participation seems to get better every time and this contest is really fun.
There are plenty of mults and good ops.  Can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for the contacts!

73,  Hal W1NN