[3830] NAQP CW KK7S Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chaddkn@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KK7S Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:03:10 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: KK7S
Operator(s): KK7S
Station: KK7S

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   13     4
   80:   49    19
   40:  156    47
   20:  275    51
   15:   17     9
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  510   130  Total Score = 68,340

Club:

Team:

Comments:

This was my first August NAQP.  The Winter one seems to work a lot better up
here in the Pacific NW.  20m was open all day, and 40m was surprisingly good,
but I never heard a peep on 10m.  15m started weak and I expected it to open up
later, but it died early and never came back.  160m had some really nice
openings with very strong a clear signals from CA and the southwest, but it
seemed like most folks weren't giving it a try.  80m was okay -- noisy but with
good activity, albeit fairly local.

This was my first real attempt at SO2R using a K3 as my main rig and a Jupiter
as my second.  My antennas are VERY close together, and even good filtering
can't eliminate the interference, but as long as I run on higher bands and S&P
on lower bands, it works fine.  The thing everyone says about SO2R -- that it
will lower your scores at first -- seems to be true for me.  I got a little
distracted by both radios and it wasn't until the end of the contest that I was
getting a good rhythm down.

I set what I thought were conservative goals, 580+ QSOs and 80K+ score, but
fell quite short on both.  I had lots of fun and learned a lot about SO2R, so
I'll count it as a success.  See you in the next one.

-Chadd, KK7S