[3830] ARRL RR KJ6EOL(@W6YX) Rookie LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rebar@hamilton.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL RR KJ6EOL(@W6YX) Rookie LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:10:58 -0700
                    ARRL Rookie Roundup - SSB

Call: KJ6EOL
Operator(s): KJ6EOL
Station: W6YX

Class: Rookie LP
QTH: Stanford, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

------------
   80:    0
   40:    0
   20:  215
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------
Total:  215  Mults = 44  Total Score = 13,552

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was Phil, KJ6ELO's first go at a contest, aside from the Field Day GOTA
event earlier this year.  We were challenged by heavy QSB early in the event
and noticed the skip was fairly short.  QRM was abundant low in the phone
portion of the 20m band, but the rate was good and a bit of width and shift
adjustment helped, plus a decent narrow SSB filter on the FT-1000MP MkV.

Spent the full six hours on 20m, periodically checked 15 and late in the event
checked 40m, but rate on 20m did not warrant QSY to other bands.

Phil had a great time working rookie and non-rookie participants and managed to
hone his technique over the course of the event to make his exchange more
efficient.  Despite a glitch with the online logger that forced us to fall-back
to paper and then stand-alone logging, everything worked real well from the
big-gun station at Stanford.

Rig: FT-1000MP MkV @ 100w
Antenna: KLM 20m 6el @ 65', ~600' above sea-level over sloping ground

Thanks to the Stanford Club for the use of their station and to all of the
participants that took part in this event and contributed to our QSO count.

73 de N6CCH aka rebar control op.