[3830] OhQP WB8JUI Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, therickman@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP WB8JUI Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:24:25 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: WB8JUI
Operator(s): WB8JUI
Station: WB8JUI

Class: Rover LP
QTH: Bellevue, Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

   80:  147     64
   40:  119      1
   20:   78      0
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  344     65  CW Mults = 79  Ph Mults = 43  Total Score = 91,866

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The trials and tribulations of a first time OQP Rover...

Plans were to hit the 4 counties of Bellevue, Ohio - Erie, Sandusky, Huron, and
Seneca, spending an hour or so in each county.  I had an appointment at my
doctor's office in Fremont Saturday morning.  My wife suggested I take the rig,
head north after the appointment and hit Ottawa also.  I think she just wanted
me out of the house...  Kind of surprised she didn't tell me to just head south
and catch Lawrence too ;-)

I scoped out a great scenic spot on the old bay bridge (Sandusky Bay) in
Ottawa, set up the antennas and off to the races.  Not quite...  After a few
contacts on 40 and 20, I QSYed to 80 CW.  RF getting into the craptop - locking
up.  Only made 15 contacts in Ottawa.  Starting to question my decision to go
Rover.  Also discovered I left the cooler with drinks and munchies sitting on
the garage floor at home.

Across Sandusky Bay and on to Erie!  Set-up the antenna further away from the
Pacifica this time.  80 meter RF issue gone.  Starting to feel a bit more
comfortable.

Head on over to Sandusky next.  Set-up went quickly.  Another 50 contacts in
the log and an evil eye from the Sandusky County Sheriff as he passed by.

I had Huron next on the route, but having already worked a couple of Huron
stations, I felt Seneca (home county) would be a better choice.  After an hour
and a half in Seneca, I decided to uproot again and wander over to Huron.

Huron was good for another 50 contacts.  I had quite a few people tell me they
still needed Erie.  Being that Erie was just down the road, I figured why not.

Back to Erie for a few more contacts.  I'm getting pretty quick at assembling
and disassembling the wire verticals, but it's still a rate killer.

Now, back to Seneca for the epilogue.  Found a quiet spot on 40 amongst the
RTTY contesters and had a decent run.  80/75 was hopping the final hour.

As N2WN mentioned, my CW QSO rate really picked up the minute he asked me to
QSY to SSB.  Sorry we didn't connect Julius, but judging by your QRP score, I
don't think missing that Seneca SSB mult will cost you a repeat plaque.
Congratulations on a great QRP score!

The bulk of my operation was CW, but on the rare occasions when I went to
phone, I was invariably asked if I did CW.  Does a one legged duck swim in
circles???  I was more than happy to put the mic down and go back to CW.

Frequent flyer list (4 or more contacts) - DL3DXX (7), KO7X (6), N4PN (6), W8MJ
(6), W8TM (6), DL2HBX (5), K1ZZI (5), W5JBV (5), DL3GA (4), HA1AG (4), KE8M (4),
KK7S (4), N2WN (4), W8JH (4), W9LHG (4), W0MHS (4)

Thanks to all for the QSOs.  Your participation was greatly appreciated!  Hope
to work you all again in the various state QSO parties and contests throughout
the year.

73 - Rick WB8JUI

Icom 746Pro - 100 watts
Fan vertical