[3830] CQ WW RTTY AA8IA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa8ia@aa8ia.org
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AA8IA SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 15:57:02 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA8IA
Operator(s): AA8IA
Station: AA8IA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Toronto OH
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:   83  105      35        7     6
   40:  108  200      29       31    13
   20:  120  252      21       41    18
   15:   86  169       8       30    14
   10:   16   47       0        7     5
Total:  413  773      93      116    56  Total Score = 204,845

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

FT-950 / low wires.  Huge contest.   Lots of fun.   15m was really enjoyable.
WX cooperated here in Ohio.   Really poor rate, but had a lot of fun.

No matter how you slice it, if you need filtering [and you do in this contest],
you don't want to run AFSK on the FT-950.   Even using the IF shift to attempt
to get the signal inside the filter edges, it doesn't always work and it
requires a ton of continous knob turning.   I won't do a serious RTTY contest
effort again unless I'm running FSK and can take advantage of the filtering in
RTTY mode.   Yep, the filtering was much better than what I used to run in the
FT-100, but I'll do myself the favor and have an FSK interface for next time.
There were some other odd things going on with my configuration Sunday that
really baffled me and caused me to waste a few hours trying to figure it out.

Way too much time in the chair for me, at least that's what my back is telling
me.   I ignored the family today.   I wouldn't have had it any other way
though.   Tons of fun and well worth the effort.  I think I actually worked one
station on all bands, which happens very rarely here.   I need a tribander for
next year.

Thanks to everyone who participated and provided the fun!