[3830] CaQP K3FIV/6 SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP K3FIV/6 SOFixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 16:47:59 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K3FIV/6
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV/6

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: MEND
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:   49    149
   40:   29     99
   20:  153    114
   15:   49     56
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, great contest, lots of stations!  Don't forget to check your log to see how
many NCCC calls you worked for the anniversary award certificate - see
nccc.cc/40th.html  If you worked me, you've got at least one - and probably a
lot more.

Running, especially on 20 SSB, with 100 watts and a dipole is "challenging".  I
managed to squeeze in and stay put as a mouse among the elephants for at least a
little while, especially at the fringes of the band and out of the busiest time.
 Sorry for any frustration from people looking for MEND - I was there, but not
usually in the crowd.  Thanks to everybody who pulled me out.

Most interesting experience was on 20 and 15, where the bands seemed very long.
 Trying to get the Northeast states/provinces for the CA-station multipliers, it
seemed like I was more likely to get a call back from Europe than NA.  That
*never* happens - calling CQ with my 100w/dipole and getting EUs back.  On CW
and SSB as well.  Thanks!  Did miss a few mults though - I don't think anyone
lives in DE...and I used to live 20 miles from it.  Couldn't find QC, KY, or ME
either.   Hmmm, maybe some of you guys in PA, MD, VA could run some mobiles into
DE during next year's CQP?

For people wondering about mobiles in CA, one thing I had to learn when moving
from the Northeast to CA was that CA is *big*.  MENDocino county alone is
larger than several states combined.  I live in the SW corner of the county,
and it is a five hour drive to the opposite corner.  Those pesky mountains make
it difficult driving too.  In much of CA, running lots of counties in a mobile
is a week's work, not hours.

Propagation on 15 was highly variable.  I'd hear a midwest station 59+, then
when we did the exchange a few seconds later he (and I) were in the noise.
Tried CQing several likely times on 10 to see if anyone was around but not a
sound.  Maybe next year.

Rig is a Flex-3000, running 100 watts on all bands to a Carolina Windom at
about 35 feet.  N1MM did its normal great job, no problems.  I loaded up the
latest version about an hour before the start (I know I know, dumb thing to
risk...) and turned on the "score reporter".  It was interesting to see my
score get updated at getscores.org as the contest progressed.  Worked fine, no
problems, thanks N1MM, K1TTT and crew!

I did learn that I need some better kind of keyboard.  It was too easy to hit
the wrong keys especially with numbers.  Hope I didn't QLF too many......

QTH is in sight of the ocean about 100 miles north of San Francisco.  CQP is
interesting because all of the CA stations are pointing their beams away from
me.  So on 20 and 15, I usually can't hear any other CA stations - sorry if I
landed on top of you, and for those of you who "stole" my frequency, I
understand...  There may be some QSOs logged by more than one station!  Several
times as I was working stations, the band changed and I could faintly hear
another CA station running on the same frequency.  Hope everybody actually
worked the station they thought they were working...

Thanks everyone for coming to the party!

73 /Jack de K3FIV