[3830] TxQP W5RQ/P Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP W5RQ/P Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:57:53 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W5RQ/P
Operator(s): W5RQ
Station: W5RQ/P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LOVING COUNTY
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:  221    219
   20:  106     44
   15:    1
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  328    263      0  Mults = 231  Total Score = 348,810

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Accolades to Chuck, NO5W, whose tireless TxQP promotional efforts across the
state result in a better contest each year.  I don't know if all 254 counties
were activated, but it was close.

I drove the RV out to Loving County, which is still the least populous county
in the country.  According to the sheriff, they've actually lost a few folks
since I last operated there in 2007 -- very few move in -- and the residents
just pass on... Only about 65 people live there now!

The set-up was the TS-850 barefoot into a G5RV, erected behind the abandoned
schoolhouse in "downtown" Mentone.   I spent quite some time with Loving's only
ham, Harlan Hopper, KE5UAD, who watched my TxQP operation for about two hours.
He's a Tech; and I was hoping 10 would open up so he could operate in the Tech
SSB segment -- but no luck.

Again, thanks to Chuck's efforts, there were some serious mobile operations
across the state, and 40 CW was continually buzzing with pileups as new
counties were activated.  Some teams made special efforts to operate on county
lines, passing out two, three -- and in a few cases, four counties!

I had to shut down for the last four hours Saturday evening while a
thunderstorm front passed close by.  When you're in an RV parked in a large,
open playground and your metal pole is the tallest thing around, you don't take
chances.  I'm sure I missed several mults, but that's life.

Thanks to all the participants, in-state and outside Texas, who combined to
make this a most enjoyable weekend.

73, John, W5RQ
Georgetown, TX