[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:54:39 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SOCntyExp HP
QTH: Mono
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  135    159
   40:  270     30
   20:  402    268
   15:  135     58
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Eastside Contest Group

Comments:

This was my 19th CQP county expedition to Mammoth Lakes in Mono County.  I
arrived on Tuesday night, an extra day earlier than usual, with my pickup truck
fully loaded with several hundred pounds of radios, computers, antennas, coax,
etc.  Single op expeditions are a lot of work and it was nice to have an extra
day to set up.

Having launched my antenna guy lines in the pine trees with a sling shot for
about 20 years, I have decided to award  myself expert marksman status.  This
year I hit my mark at the top of each tree on virtually every shot. My 3
element wire beams for 15M & 20M and three dipoles for the other bands were as
high as they have ever been.  Unfortunately, my AL-80b amp picked this weekend
to start failing...if I tried to get more than 400w out (200w max on 20 SSB),
it would arc and drop to zero.  So I ran with medium high power.

All the antennas seemed to perform well, it would have been nice to see how
things would have worked with the full KW, particularly on 20M SSB.  I did make
the most CW QSOs that I ever have and it was cool working 128 EU stations.  I
got my sweep when KO7P called me on 75M SSB at 0741 UTC and gave his NR 11 in
ID.  That was good timing for going to bed a few minutes later...you always
sleep better after a sweep.

In one of my many Canadian QSOs, a VE3 station gave me some new phonetics for
my call...W6 Maple Leaf.  Maybe I'll try those occasionally next year to see if
I can get even more Canadians in the log, eh.

After CQP ended at 3pm local time, I spent the next 3 1/2 hours taking down all
of the antennas, finishing just as it was getting dark.  Since I had spent
almost 3 days setting them up, that was pretty fast.  The weather forecast of
heavy rain on Monday (which turned out to be accurate) gave me the incentive to
keep working so I wouldn't need to deal with an extra dose of Mother Nature.

Even with all the work, it was still great fun!...Thanks for all the QSOs!

73,

Jim, W6ML (W6KC), Mammoth Lakes, Mono County

http://www.vistasierra.com/w6ml