[3830] Oceania CW ZL3NB SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, zl3nb@ihug.co.nz
Subject: [3830] Oceania CW ZL3NB SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:16:50 -0700
                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL3NB
Operator(s): ZL3NB
Station: ZL3NB

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Christchurch NZ
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  503   289
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  503   289  Total Score = 726,835

Club:

Comments:

Missed out on last year's OC Test. This year decided to go Single Band with 40
meters since for one its always been my favorite band propagation wise plus the
fact the local noise is not as bad as on 80 meters where I also lack a
competitive antenna for contesting. Also struggling during the daytime hours on
20/15 and 10 meters is generally a waste of time from this location in the South
Island especially when the Solar Flux is low and no sunspots. There is a huge
difference propagation wise between ZL1/2 in the North Island and here.

Once the local noise subsided after 1100Z it was smooth sailing through out the
morning hours with a steady flow of contacts thanks to those who kept posting me
on the cluster. There were some very strong signals around our sunrise time from
Scandanavia and the Middle East.

Shut down around 1900Z and returned for 2 hours between 0530-0730Z.

Was rather chuffed with working just over 500 stations considering our initial
goal between of 350 to 400. Owe much to good propagation and cluster posting.

Equipment: Kenwood TS2000 Ameritron Amp at 500 watts into a simple 40M inverted
vee up around 10 meters in conjunction with the N1MM contest logger.

QTH is only 5 meters ASL and 1 kilometre from the Ocean and most importantly no
Earthquake Aftershocks felt.  :-)