[3830] CQWW SSB W4ZW SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4ZW SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:36:23 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW
Station: W4ZW

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 13:32
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   47    13       27
   40:   44    20       29
   20:   43    18       17
   15:  105    18       45
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Rig : FT-5000, K-3, TS-590S

         Antennas : 3/2wl 80M Loop, 80M Delta Loop, 40M Bi-square

          Soapbox : I can't remember the last time I spent so much time in a
contest that wasn't a QRP effort with such puny results. This was going to be a
part-time effort, but the challenge of working some of the DX-peditions with LP
and wires got me hooked for hours. I ran EZNEC on the wires before the contest
and could see that I had very sharp lobes and VERY deep nulls on the high
bands, and the results proved it.  If the DX was in the lobe (G/F/DL;JA;VK/ZL;
CE/LU) I could work them easily, but if they were in the nulls, they CQed in my
face (Especially Carribean). Low power SSB on 80M and 40M is truly challenging.
Now I remember why I love CW so much!  I was about to give it up when that
wonderful 15M opening appeared Sunday morning. I miss my Florida yagis' and
that ocean!  I'm going to put up a couple of half-squares to fill in some of
these deep nulls for CQWW CW.