[3830] CQWW SSB W2RE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W2RE SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:54:00 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE
Station: W2RE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   27     7       14
   80:  164    17       64
   40:  649    25       87
   20: 1252    35      110
   15: 1374    30      103
   10:   68     9       22
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

New things:
New Qth in (Summit, NY) NNY section
First time ever going Unassisted!

How did I get to this point? In May of this year I closed on the Vac/Dx/Contest
qth in Summit, NY (Schoharie Co) NNY section.
I started the process of getting permits for proposed 6 towers. Major set back
as the town had a tower law? Yes! It was implemented for Cell Co. Meanwhile,
the building inspector allowed me to pour the foundation and guy anchors for 3
towers before I received final permission. They did have a law up to 30ft with
out permit. Ok! Great, at least I get get the foundation work done before.
The process to get the 6 tower proposal took a bit longer than expected,as I
finally received the permission on October 7th!
So, I went from nothing in the air on Oct 7th to (3) 100ft towers and stacks
within a few weekend days from the primary help from my wife Lori KB2HZI.
Here is pictures of the new contest qth on a 2100ft hill in Summit, NY!
drop off in all directions, Photos from top of the tower.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ray.w2re/3TowersCQWW2010#

Contest:

I knew that I was handicapped on 80 and 160 from the start. No real antenna on
either of these bands as I threw dipole up on 80M and a 160L with 2 elevated
radials a day before the contest. No beverages as of yet! I do have room to run
1000ft Bev's in all directions. Also, have 100ft Pine trees on the the far end
of property to do some a 160 4SQ array later.

So, with the low bands being a disadvatage, I just decided I was to have fun
and see how this qth is going to compete! I decided to do SO unassisted due the
fact that the Internet is poor and unreliable at the moment.

What I noticed about the new qth compared to my qth in Poughquag, NY is that
its much more quiter, no noise at all! What a pleasure not dealing with the
annoying birdies and line noise.

I did get a lot of praise from Eu about my 15M signal, and received a email
from 3W1M that I was the only signal beside K1KI that was heard from East Coast
USA on 15M.
Basically, I am extremely happy to go from nothing on Oct 7th to having a blast
in CQWW! Yes! SS from here in NNY should be fun next weekend too!

I still live in Poughqug, NY as the primary residence, however I only live 105
miles from Summit and can get there in two hours.

The Summit Qth is 40 miles SW of Albany, NY in the northern Catskills. Summit
is the highest point in Schoharie County which is 45 miles south of Cooperstown
(Baseball Hall of Fame).

Thanks for the Q's

Ray W2RE