[3830] CQWW SSB VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:22:06 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:    2     2        2
   80:  105    13       17
   40:  118    18       29
   20:  651    24       58
   15:  270    22       48
   10:   10     3        4
------------------------------
Total: 1156    82      158  Total Score = 637,440

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

* FT-2000 + SB221 ~400W (SO1R, unassisted)
* N1MM Logger (didn't bother with the DVK)
* 3 ele. Steppir @ 40'
* 40M Steppir dipole @ 40'
* 2 x 80M verticals
* 160M Inverted-L (75' high/60' horizontal)

Didn't hit my band targets, but still had a personal best (primary goal) with
most Qs, most zones, most mults ever. And I felt like I didn't even scratch the
surface from BC.

But VA7FC sure did -- great outing Perry! The new Orca DX and Contest Club (
http://orcadxcc.org ) fielded Team Orca with VA7FC Perry, VC3X Dave (VE7VR),
VA7BEC Rebecca, and VE7XF Ralph (15M), and me. They all did extremely well.

Must applaud good friend VE4EAR -- watched Ed's score rising all weekend on
getscores.org and realized early on that he was going to claim the roses in our
horserace. He managed more than twice as many Qs and 100 more mults. I heard him
running a Stateside pileup Sunday afternoon. Smooth operator, and in his
element.

I went into the contest intending 30-plus hours, but ended up with just 27
hours. Being an infrequent phone op, I just couldn't take more than a few hours
at a time, so walked away far more often than is healthy for a good score. Got
into the Halloween candy a couple of times. Likewise not healthy.

Perhaps driven by a sugar crash, I took a "just a quick" nap with two hours to
go. Woke up at 0000z on the button, so missed out on perhaps 200 extra Qs,
which I'm keeping in reserve for next year, so please show up :)

Highlights:

* 270 Qs on 15M, which offered almost as many zones and countries as 20M for
me.
* A "blink and you miss it" Sunday afternoon opening to South America on 10M.
  CX, CE, PY, LU, and then they were gone.
* Mozambique on 15M and 20M, IG9 on 20M. ZS on 15M. (A juicy 20M ZS double-mult

  was lost to ill-timed callers who obviously couldn't hear either end of the
Q).
* PJ2 Curacao and PJ4 Bonaire for new ones on SSB.

Also enjoyed some long, steady runs. Not huge point-makers but awesome fun. The
best was 317 Qs at 172/hr high on 20M Saturday afternoon. Then Sunday afternoon
with 102 Qs at 210/hr before being booted off the frequency by not one but two
amp-tuners working in concert (literally). Flutes warming up in the opera pit.

Heard a few good mults (i.e. OX, V5) that couldn't be cracked due to the
east-coast wall, but patience (er, and the bandmap for quick return) proved a
great virtue in most cases.

Lowlights:

* 40M. And that is all I have to say about that.

* 75M. Just 105 Qs, 17 countries and 13 zones? Oh. Just checked last year: 62
Qs, 5 countries, 6 zones. Never mind. Cancel the antenna razing party. My folly
was missing the prime-time hours on 75M trying to eke out countries and zones on
40M.

Spent too much time on stations who don't ID after four or five Qs... guess
they're only interested in working Assisted ops. As I patiently waited to hear
who they were, I could feel the pick-pocket tug as they padded their rate from
my already paltry Unassisted log. As pileup management goes, it may be the
thing to do, but sure turns Search and Pounce into Search. Wait. Wait. Wait.
[insert X more QSOs here]. Pounce. Wait...

Comparing my first-night tallies, I figured I'd finish with a personal best.
The opening hour on 15M put me quite well ahead for the first night effort,
despite poor capability on 40M and 80M later in the evening:

         Qs   Cty    Zn   Score   QRT
2010    200    54    42   45,120  1050z
2009    139    28    27   17,000  0900z
2008    169    42    33   27,300  0949z

Too bad antenna season is done. After this contest, I'm ready to get out there
and build something that works for 40M. The low dipole is fine but it is a low
dipole. I miss the point-and-shoot of a beam. Verticals are the only realistic
option for some DX-angle gain in the right places (EU, JA, SA), so perhaps a
triangle of them is next. Can't wait for spring, and it's only Halloween. Gonna
be a looong winter, hi.

Great fun to be in on the action. Thanks to all. See you in Sweeps and my
all-time fave, CQWW CW.

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st
http://orcadxcc.org

Year-over-year comparison:

        Qs    Zn   Cty   Score
2010  1156    82   158   637,440  SFI= 86  A= 4 K=1
2009: 1030    61   130   434,525  SFI= 74  A=17 K=4
2008: 1080    73   154   559,101  SFI= 68  A= 1 K=0
2007:  349    54    97   123,367  SFI= 67  A=14 K=4
2004:  167    38    61    39,303
2003:   46    11    22     4,356
2002:   12     8     9       493

Band comparison:

160M     QSOs  Zones  DXCC
2010        2      2     2
2009        3      2     2
2008       14      2     3

 75M
2010      105     13    17 twin verts
2009       62      6     5 twin verts - new box
2008      149     13    19 twin verts - old box

 40M
2010      118     18    29 Steppir dipole
2009      121     11    14 "  "  "
2008       54     18    32 Twin half-squares E-W

 20M
2010      651     24    58 SteppIr 3 el.
2009      605     26    71 "  "  "
2008      614     27    74 Mosley CL-33

 15M
2010      270     22    48