[3830] CQWW CW TC4X(OH2PM) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW TC4X(OH2PM) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:41:51 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: TC4X
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: TC4X

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Alanya
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:
   80:
   40: 3062    38      141
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Again back home Turkey.
It was the third time in a run that worked 40 m SB from southern Turkey just
with a rooftop dipole antenna. I love to operate all bands but unfortunately
there is no space for 80 and 160 antennas. Every year I have managed to
increase my score by some 50-100k points. Now I may have come to the point
where a man at his 70's with the poor dipole cannot do much more.
This year I seriously considered 20 SB, but a lighting hit on Friday afternoon
broke the feedline of the 2el SteppIR antenna, thus there was no need to make
the choice between 20 and 40.
I was uncertain how the band conditions will develop during the weekend. I made
a decission to focus on multipliers during the first 6 hours. By doing a lot of
S&P some 100 QSOs were sacrified but 122 (71% of the total) multipliers were in
the log when the band went quiet around 7z on Saturday morning.
There were at least 3 multipliers that I called but never caughed. First of all
one must be happy that those rare ones are participating the contest. However,
the obviously increased use of DX clusters guarantees the rare ones enough
"customers" without regularly idetifying themselves. On the otherhand
spot-addicts are not the best listeners making it more and more difficult for
the random bypassers to get thru or hear to whom the DX came back.
One day my hearing may go so bad and my left hand so weak that it can no more
have continuous grip on the RX-knob for 48 hrs that I will join the F1 button
pressers.
DX clusters are a great application as such and have increased activity among
DX hunters. In context of contesting there are at least two opinions about use
of DX cluster. They have come and they will remain and deverlop further. The
day when I have to go assisted is certainly not far away. When it comes I
hopefully remember what I wrote today and have discretion enough to use also my
RX when hitting on the spot.

Thanks for all for the busy weekend.
I want also to thank Juha for letting use his penthouse and Tevfik for the
renewal of the station license.

See you the coming up contests, Pertti, OH2PM