[3830] ARRL 160 VE9AA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE9AA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 04:25:58 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MAR (NB)
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 541  Sections = 72  Countries = 24  Total Score = 112,800

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

It must give those big guns that operate in the DX window (1830-35) a great deal
of satisfaction when they turn in their score to know they've disobeyed the
rules and had lots of quiet space (elbow room) to run domestic stations there.
Murphy found me !  Arrived home 10 minutes before the contest start and found
my wimpy wire must have a break, or moved in the tree branches and now was
nowhere near resonant on 160m, !  Got it more or less sorted in the dark and
rain and sat down at computer 2 mins before the gun.....worked half a dozen
guys and computer rebooted. RATS !  Worked another dozen; same thing.  Luckily,
it never rebooted for the remainder of the 'test.

Fell asleep in the chair Friday night (long day) and fell asleep on the couch
Saturday night...in fact, missed almost all of Sat night except a few hours
before SR here.

My #1 fav QSO was ZL8X right @ Sunrise here.  All my madness about experienced
and respected(?) big guns running domestic in the window went away when I put
this QSO in the log.  40/9 signals on either side of them.  Happy happy, joy
joy ! Whoever the op was @ ZL8X must sure have a set of ears on him. Kudos !

VE9 (& VA1/VE1 & VY2) remains "M A R"....still many asking for my section many
many times....what's up with that?  I don't ask a KH6 or KL7 for their section
if I get a partial...I know it's AK or PAC...

Maybe this is contributing:

I did hear 1 Canadian station giving a province designation  for a prefix he
wasn't signing.  IE: a VE5 that was actually in VE6....this is QUITE unusual
for Canada.  We are required to either have a proper prefix, or sign portable,
whereas W4ABC can be in any state, VE7XXXX should be in BC....why this guy
signs VE5 but is actually in VE6 is beyond me. Perhaps things have changed
since I've been active in contesting, but it's totally new(s) to me !

IC-746, 600w, inverted U @ 30' AGL....

Please, you guys (and you know who you are) stay out of the DX window and leave
it for DX !  Why doesn't ARRL adopt the red/yellow card system?