[3830] ARRL 160 W5WZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5wz@w5wz.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W5WZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:01:50 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W5WZ
Operator(s): W5WZ
Station: W5WZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 7

Total:  QSOs = 348  Sections = 73  Countries = 9  Total Score = 52,122

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Contesting for me is a challenge - mainly because other obligations in my life
require much of my time on weekends.  Consequently, I put in part-time efforts.
 This contest was no exception.

This was fun!  After work on Friday evening I built a new Inverted-L for the
contest - 75' high & 100' wide.  A quick EZNEC model of it looked very
promising, as compared to the 105 ft high dipole.  Put the requisite vac-var
cap in series and was up and going in short order.

Real world "seat of the pants review" it seems to play much better than the
dipole at 105 feet.  Used the 'new-this-summer' beverage antennas for receive.

The last time I worked 160m contest was in 2004; at a different QTH with a 160m
dipole up 25 feet & and no beverage receive antenna.  That combination was not
efficient!  This year I was surprised at how strong some of the signals were -
quite a contrast from before.  And the band noise was low - actually much lower
than I expected.

Worked several LCC members - thanks for the QSOs -- as well as friends around
the country.

Got all states EXCEPT ND, AK, HI, WV