[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:38:25 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 710  Sections = 77  Countries = 12  Total Score = 129,851

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K3 at 100 watts, and Win-Test for logging.  The K3 receiver / flexibility sure
helps on top-band.  The recent K3 firmware install definitely helped with RX
noise-reduction.  Used two TX antennas and various short RX antennas.

A few good CQ runs mixed with a lot of S&P time.  Missed (never heard) NNY,
KP4, and NT.  After day 1, still needed NNY, SFL, PR, LAX, SB, SF, PAC, WY, WV,
MB, and NT.  Eight of these took hours to find / work on day two.  Surprised to
have a few DX stations, including EU, call me during some CQ runs with LP.
Great to work all 50 states (including KL7RA and KH6ZM plus KH6LC) on 160 with
LP.  Previously, I've worked 160 meters WAS with LP in one weekend, but some
years I've missed by just one or only a few states.

DX worked: EI2, IK4, E77, C6, XE2, ZF2, G4, P40, PJ2, MD0, VP2M, and HI3.

Started about 4 hours after 2200Z on Friday, mostly due to continuing work on
antennas (before the approaching snow fall).  Missing the higher rates during
the first 4 hours probably cost me over 250 QSOs.  The conditions for DX
seemed better on Friday night.  Ten of the 12 countries were worked on day 1.
The rates were very slow on much of the second day.

Even though the ARRL rules for this contest requested keeping the DX window of
1830 - 1835 kHz open for DX, way too many U.S. stations camped out with CQ runs
in the window -- often right on top of weak DX stations.  Unfortunately, this
trend seems to get a bit worse each year.

Top band is always great fun.   Thanks for the Qs and Ms.  Merry Christmas and
Happy 2011 to everyone.  Hope to CUAGN, and often, on top band.

73,
    Gary . K9MMS