[3830] ARRL 10 K6LL M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K6LL M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:18:47 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  863    100
  SSB:  385     64
-------------------
Total: 1248   4222  Total Score = 692,408

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I had planned to skip this contest, but around Wednesday the Arizona Outlaws
Club started talking up participation, so I decided to do something.

I thought I'd try cw only.  Then I thought it would be fun to use a nice CW
Skimmer that has been installed nearby recently, but that would put me into
multi-single. Then I re-read the rules, and there is no CW multi-single, so I
had to do some SSB, especially since the mults count on both modes.  It's all
for the good of the club, you see. I ended up spending 22 hour on the air.  It
was not too intense. There were lots of little walk-around breaks, checking
email, news, etc.

The actual contest felt mostly like a VHF contest, with me in the middle of
nowhere (Yuma, Arizona). There were a few exciting hours though, with
occasional sustained CW rates over 250.  The CW Skimmer is actually in southern
Utah, and was hearing a very different set of calls than I was. There was some
overlap though.  Overall, I think I would have been better off single op mixed.
Conditions were not good enough to get big runs going on SSB.

I rigged up a deal where one rig/amp was tuned up on CW, and one was tuned for
SSB, and I could instantly flip between modes. The active rig got the 10 meter
antenna, and the inactive rig got a dummy load. That setup worked great - all
automatic.

I am sure looking forward to some sunspots. This cycle may be my last shot!

Happy holidays to all.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.