[3830] ARRL 10 K3FIV M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K3FIV M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:45:18 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: M/S LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   CW:  48     22
  SSB:  33     13
-------------------
Total:  81     35  Total Score = 9,030

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Friday started out well, though it was only a few hours until local darkness
pretty much shut things down.  I didn't expect much on 10M with just 100 watts
and a wire antenna, but it seemed like a DX contest.  Worked only a few US
stations, mostly AZ and NM, a few TX, and one GA - N4DU has good ears!  West
propagation across the Pacific was better - E51, FO8, and several VKs and ZLs.

Saturday was pretty barren.  I checked the band periodically, worked anyone
new, and collected a few more AZ, NM, CO.  Nothing else heard in the lower 48
at all.  The strong SA stations were in however, and I worked a few but my weak
signal didn't get through to most.  AK was in with very strong signals, but not
a peep from WA, OR, etc.

When I checked again on Sunday, signals were better, and I finally logged some
XEs plus a bunch of SA stations.  But it didn't last long.

US stations were scarce.  A few TX stations came through, and amazingly a PA
and NJ station, but that "opening" lasted only a few minutes.

I never even heard a single VE during the entire contest.

Pretty disappointing propagation in general.  Signals were unusually weak,
except for the HI stations who are always strong here thanks to the salt water
between me and them.  It's been much better on 10 lately, so hopefully this
weekend was just unusual.

I used the spotting network to see how it helped.  For this contest, it wasn't
very useful - most of the spots were for stations I couldn't hear at all.

Anyway, a good way to spend a few hours playing around and having some fun.
Thanks to everyone who pulled me out of the noise.

Rig: Flex-3000 100 watts
Antenna: 80-meter Carolina Windom at 35 feet

73, /Jack de K3FIV