[3830] ARRL 10 VA7ST SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VA7ST SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:42:02 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

   CW:  105    30
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  105    30  Total Score = 12,600

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were not nearly as good as I'd hoped for, given the "elevated" flux
of 89.

Heard a lot more than I worked, including some good Caribbean DX and many SA,
W4, W5 etc. that just couldn't hear me, despite their S9 signals. Was tempted
to go to HP mode, but don't think it would have helped all that much... might
have cracked a few more mults that weren't hearing me. I don't think it would
have done a lot for running, as the steady stream of QRO callers helped mark
the frequency even with low power.

Was on in several short installments, but on Sunday morning I stuck with the
band and built a bit of a run -- worked most of my Qs in an 83-Q run from 1734
to 1844z. Then the light went out, band was dead. Came back in the mid
afternoon and worked five more, but they were neither strong nor plentiful.

Sure saw the spotlight propagation in effect -- beginning of that run was
mostly MD and DC, then NC and SC, then FL... then nuttin. Expected to work lots
of W6s, but not a single one in the log this weekend.

Did work Vermont though. Oh, wait a minute. Scratch that... Did work VER
though. And three other XE mults, but they were not on in the numbers I had
hoped to hear -- either propagation was really poor on the VE-XE path, or they
weren't there. Big signals from some, though, so the path was open wide.

Looking forward to RAC Winter starting 0000z Saturday (next Friday afternoon).
Will also be on Top Band for the Stew. Here's to a great weekend on the radio.

73, Bud VA7ST

Check out the new Orca DX and Contest Club
http://orcadxcc.org

Popular mults...
2009             2010
CA  56           FL  24