[3830] ARRL 10 N6WG SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N6WG SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:47:59 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

   CW:  162    46
  SSB:   32    11
-------------------
Total:  194    57  Total Score = 40,584

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Now, this was a fun contest.  It's been a long time since 10m seemed so open and
active.  I really enjoyed it.  Just wish I could have put in more hours.  The
early morning hours were busier than I expected.  I'm glad I got up early to
check out the band.

Initially, my goal was 100 Qs and 10K points.  I made it through that hoop and
started looking at 150 Qs and 20K points.  That came and went, and I got real
ambitious, thinking 200 Qs and 30K wouldn't be that hard to pull off.  I fell a
tiny bit short on the Qs (only 194), but I did gather enough mults between cw
and phone that I ended with 40,584 points.

My copy of N1MM is too old to include the XE states, so I had to edit my log
manually to work them in and recalculate.  That really helped a bunch.
Definitely time to download the newest version.

The station here is pretty basic--a K3/10 at 5w and a Force-12 5-element 10m
yagi up about 25 ft.  This was my first contest for my new P3 Panadapter.  It
helped me gather in some Qs, but I also spent a fair amount of time playing
with it to get comfortable with the controls.  I hope to use it more
effectively in the next contest I enter.

The P3 also shows me just how noisy my neighborhood is.  Turning the beam can
make almost 20dB difference in the noise threshold that signals have to climb
over.  Wow.

Thanks to all who came out to play.  Hope to work many of you again in the next
contest.

73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude