[3830] TBDC K8IA Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bobk8ia@aol.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K8IA Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:52:21 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K8IA
Operator(s): K8IA KC7V
Station: K8IA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: AZ-DM43
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 491  Total Score = 2,291

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

T-T Orion II
Alpha 8410
78' shunt fed tower with 60 radials
K9AY Receiving Loops

Fun tag team event with Arizona Outlaw friend, Mike KC7V.

Same ops, radio, power, and antennae as 2009 Stew but measurably poorer results
this year.

2009: 518 qso's, 2660 pts = 5.135 pts/qso
2010: 491 qso's, 2291 pts = 4.665 pts qso

Looking closer, we had a decent European opening last year and more q's from
Oceania as well. No EU this year and, although KH6 was very active, our numbers
from VK/ZL were anemic at best. JA was ok both years. Surprise this year was
JT1CO answering my CQ just before our sunrise.

Only DX worked this year was:CE, FM, JA, JT, KH6, KL, KP2, P4, UA9, XE, ZL

Plus, this year there appeared to be much less activity and, much more QSB.
Maybe the latter drove the former. ;-) It was noisier this year as well.

Anyhow, this is always a fun contest and the scoring system is novel enough
that there can really be some strategy involved. Lets hope activity and
propagation picks up for 2011 Stew!

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club