[3830] TBDC K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:10:53 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 37  Total Score = 282

Club: Boring ARC

Comments:

Transmitter was a Johnson Viking Model 122 VFO - with a transistor or two
driving a pair of 3-500Zs.  Output was running around 1 watt (as measured on my
50W slug in the Bird Watt-meter).  Receiver was the K3 with beverages.

Was surprised at how well people were hearing me.  Best DX was KE9I and other
good ear awards go to WD5R, W5TM, KL7RA and W0PR who will enjoy getting 20
points for digging me out of the mud.  It is rather rewarding to go around the
band and give 4X QSO points to those who work me.

QRP might be a better alternative than suicide for those in noisy.  Just crank
down the power to 5 watts, and hearing is no longer your limiting factor.