[3830] 9A CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 9A CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:21:51 -0800
                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MAZOTOS
Operating Time (hrs): 17

  160:   33    16
   80:  133    28
   40:  226    43
   20:  270    42
   15:  128    22
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  790   151  Total Score = 522,158

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Poor band cndx this weekend continued the trend of this contest season. Even the
low bands which have been a saving grace of late failed to come up with the
goods.

I checked 10 mtrs many times and put out cq's but never heaRd so much as a
'dit' up there. 15 mtrs was very patchy and even 20 mtrs was sounding like
sporadic propagation for much of the time. Certainly any guys who got on for a
bit of dx this weekend will be disappointed. Usually following a contest I have
a list of 'gotaways', not so this weekend, I can't recall a single one. In fact
the only pile-ups I heard were at the bottom of the bands and those ops were
not in the contest. Anyways I never worked less dx in a contest.

My low bands basic antenna set up 160m thru 40m does not qualify me to make a
reliable judgement on how good or poor cndx are down there but it was
definately down on cqww weekend with little dx heard, even on 40mtrs.

The 9A ops seemed to be short in numbers this time but, as always, there was a
great turn out fom the UA boys which helped the numbers along. The 'spotlight'
prpagation did not help, the main channel from here seemed to be the Baltic
states and SM, to the exclusion of OH and LA. Very little heard or worked from
south EU. West eu produced quite a few from PA & ON but very little from UK or
DL. Propagation is a strange phenomenon, a science in itself.

My award for 'best ears' is a tie between TF4M & K1LZ. The former copied my
call and SP locator exchange first time. That is a trip of 5,000km for my
inefficient radiator antenna, he was so weak with me that I debated whether
even to call him, now I am so pleased I did as it is my best ever 160mtr
distance contact. K1LZ found me on 80 mtrs when I was 90 minutes into daylight
Sunday morning and hearing or working nothing outside around 1,000/1,500km,
range, quite remarkable.

Eqp't. TS570 100w. Single op unassisted.
3 ele yagi at 15m (fixed looking North, awaiting rotator repair).
40mtr dipole at 15mtrs. 80/160 - end fed wire, sloping from 15mtrs up.

 Happy Xmas with hope for a Happy (sunspot) New Year to fellow contesters.

73  Brian  C4Z/5B4AIZ.