Re: [3830] TBDC AC6DD Single Op HP

To: "3830@contesting.com" <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [3830] TBDC AC6DD Single Op HP
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:16:17 -0800 (PST)
>You didn't hear me (only 100 miles north of you,
>running 1.5kW into a pretty decent vertical)

You called me on my CQ here:
K9YC    19-Dec-10    0233Z    1.821    160M    CW    599    599
So the answer would be: I heard you at that time, and also later when you
showed up on my Frequency.

>250 Hz below you, where I
>had been for more than one hour, and had just worked ZL3IX and the first
>of the JAs who were beginning to come through. I was rolling just fine
>until your clicks and phase noise (only 25dB down 500 Hz either side of
>your CW note, as compared to other much stronger signals who are down a
>good 40 dB or more) killed my rate.

As It can be seen below  I was moving down the band until I came to a clear
frequency on 1.811 (1.81090 to be exact), I asked QRL?, (pause) QRL? AC6DD,
when there was no reply I started calling CQ.  The frequency was clear, with a
500 Hz filter there was no sign of you being around.

K4FT    19-Dec-10    0738Z    1.836    160M    CW    599    599

KV4FZ    19-Dec-10    0751Z    1.826    160M    CW    599    599

W5TM    19-Dec-10    0753Z    1.824    160M    CW    599    599

N5LZ    19-Dec-10    0754Z    1.823    160M    CW    599    599

K8IA    19-Dec-10    0802Z    1.817    160M    CW    599    599

KE9I    19-Dec-10    0807Z    1.814    160M    CW    599    599

K7HP    19-Dec-10    0811Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

K4XU    19-Dec-10    0814Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

N0TK    19-Dec-10    0815Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

N9ADG    19-Dec-10    0817Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

W2GD    19-Dec-10    0820Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

N6CMF    19-Dec-10    0821Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

KM6I    19-Dec-10    0823Z    1.811    160M    CW    599 599

N7JW    19-Dec-10    0828Z    1.811    160M    CW    599    599

After I was on this frequency for about 15 minutes you showed up with your
anonymous "Bad Key Clicks QSY"

>In fact, I never had another call
>after you set up shop and started throwing trash on my frequency.  Would
>YOU put up with that?  I doubt it.

So your response to that is to move 250 Hz up (as you claim - I don't know
where you were), and start calling CQ on my Frequency, and deliberately start
interfering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPwnrK7OeOQ

If in fact I was interfering with your reception, where were you for 15
minutes?  SO2R?
And No, I would not put up with it, just like I did not put up with you moving
onto my Frequency.

>Apparently your CW reader stops at 26 wpm. I sent my call a fair number of
>times.

Yes, you did. You were calling CQ on my Frequency for over 30 minutes.

>I've been contesting from
>this QTH for five years, and you're in my log at least a half dozen
>times, and the real contesters around here know me. Chicago?  How old is
>your prefill?

I am happy for them, I am sure they are thilled to know you Santa Cruz Jim.

>But clearly your ego can't admit that your transmitter might be dirty --
>or perhaps you think that's OK, just another way of playing schoolyard
>bully.  Ironic isn't it -- you show up with a dirty transmitter on a
>frequency that I've been running for more than an hour, with your elbows
>flying (clicks and phase noise), but because my rig is clean, you can
>make Qs, but because your rig is dirty, you do just fine.
>One of the responsibilities of running high power in a crowded band is
>to have a clean transmitter. It's long past time that you learned that.

At the contrary.
Since you are the one making the accusations about my dirty signal, and
according to you I am in your log at least half a dozen times, and we worked on
that same day
only a few hours earlier, but you never bothered to mention a dirty signal once
before, you need to provide some evidence to back up your claims.
Include with your results at the minimum: your test methods, equipment used,
and how you quantify measurement uncertainties from a crowded band and changing
weather conditions.

Meanwhile, you could stop Policing the Bands (you can see see a few of your
posts below which I found by Goggling K9YC + key clicks),

>Top class contesters understand this -- I can work within a few hundred
>Hz of N6RO, K6TA, K6XX, K5RC without a problem, but not with a trash
>machine like yours.

and return to riding on your friends coattails.

AC6DD

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-killing-RX-key-clicks-td4093607.html

And I strongly DISAGREE with Ron's statement that clicks are an essential
part of CW. Clicks are a function of a FAST RISE TIME and DISTORTION, not
keying speed. There's a KH6 contester who moved from K4 with a monster
signal, monster clicks, monster SSB splatter, and monster attitude to go
with it. I've told him about his clicks and splatter several times,  but
the clicks, splatter, and attitude are still there.

73,

Jim K9YC

http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg86295.html

A VERY well known contester and K3 user lives about 15 miles from me.
His clicks and splatter make life miserable for several of his neighbors
including K6RB, K6XX, and me. He's otherwise a nice guy and a member of
our club, but he's long been in denial about the trash on his signal. It
IS better since he converted to K3s a couple of years ago, but his
splatter was 10 kHz wide during SS. Another guy, a casual operator and
sometimes contester, runs a high priced ICOM rig into a high priced
auto-tune power amp. He's also a click generator.

73,

Jim K9YC

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Bad-COM-port-made-K3-not-work-td4993938.html

Yesterday on 20M during the NEQP, K2LE was only S9 here, but making
clicks. When I told him so, his response was that he'd been using that
radio for 10 years. I guess that made it OK.

73,

Jim K9YC