[3830] NAQP CW AA8IA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mtindor@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AA8IA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:20:45 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: AA8IA
Operator(s): AA8IA
Station: AA8IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN90QL
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    1     1
   80:   98    40
   40:   45    21
   20:   69    20
   15:   58    17
   10:    6     1
-------------------
Total:  277   100  Total Score = 27,700

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

I've been on hiatus for the winter.   Upon reading some posts on our club
mailing list, I decided to put the dipole up and give the NAQP a whirl.   Took
about half an hour to put the antenna up, route the coax in, and configure
N1MM.

I started late -- I think near 2 pm EST.   10m had very little activity.   Made
a few contacts and moved to 15.   Some nice activity there, but in the last few
contests I kept overlooking 20m because 15 was active -- so I wanted to be sure
and get some 20m time in.

Unfortunately, and oddly, there is obviously some RF floating around the shack.
  On 20m it kept taking out my G4ZLP interface.   I'd be keying and then it
would lock up and stay keyed down.   Fortunately after it happened twice I got
in the groove of turning it off, switching on the keyer, and finishing the
contact... then had to kill N1MM.exe and CW IF.exe, fire the interface back up,
and then fire N1MM back up.   What a downer.   I had the power turned down to
25w and it was still happening.   And, in the middle of the contest isn't the
best time to go hunting down and fixing problems.

Went to 40m only to find that the RF was nailing the interface again.   But i
persevered for a while.

Finally it was time for 80m, and fortunately the RF wasn't causing a noticeable
problem on 80.   This is great because I enjoy NA 80m operation.   Plus i could
run full power again, and I need every watt on 80m.

I had originally planned on going 12 hours, but that was when I thought I was
going to be on a team and when I thought Murphy wasn't going to show up.   Once
I realized I didn't make it on a team, I decided to play a more relaxed game.
Had an enjoyable time and took nice breaks to hang out with family, eat dinner,
and cross some things off the to-do list.

Considering I hadn't planned on playing in any contests until Spring, it was a
welcomed event for me.

Great to hear all the activity and all the familiar calls.   Thanks to all the
ops I was able to work, especially those who I worked on multiple bands.